dougl

Living Legend
Ride
2007 R3 Classic
Well, there hasn't been a bag thread in a while. I've had Triumph, K-Drive, Hardstreet. What's the consensus on Leatherlyke?

I've had them on my Rocket for years. Nothing fancy but tough as nails. After a few years the leather straps holding the the retaining clips broke. It became a pain taking them on and off so I mounted them to a set of Easy Brackets.

I've had them on my Rocket for years. Nothing fancy but tough as nails. After a few years the leather straps holding the the retaining clips broke. It became a pain taking them on and off so I mounted them to a set of Easy Brackets.
They seem to have quite a bit of room.

Mine are going on 8 years old with a lot of hard use. My laptop in a messenger bag goes in one side and all my gear goes in the other. In just the last few years both have cracked but I riveted a piece of aluminum angle on them and everything's fine. Easy on/off.

I have had leatherlykes on the Rocket for nearly 9 years, as has been said they are tough as nails and that is one reason I got them. I have dropped the bike three times and the bags and engine guards took the brunt with no damage to the bike or the bags/engine guards. In fact, I will put the bike on its side resting on the engine guards and bags to work on anything that needs to be done down low or underneath. Plus the bags hold the bike at a more favorable angle for getting it back upright.

I have had leatherlykes on the Rocket for nearly 9 years, as has been said they are tough as nails and that is one reason I got them. I have dropped the bike three times and the bags and engine guards took the brunt with no damage to the bike or the bags/engine guards. In fact, I will put the bike on its side resting on the engine guards and bags to work on anything that needs to be done down low or underneath. Plus the bags hold the bike at a more favorable angle for getting it back upright.

"Plus the bags hold the bike at a more favorable angle for getting it back upright."

I can relate to that.

I bought a used set of Leatherlykes to use on a previous bike. In the 5 years that I had them - they did everything I needed. Very easy on - easy off. Plenty of space. I found they were made even more convenient by using a set of zip up liners, which made taking your load with you very convenient. Lockable and pretty well waterproof (especially with the liners). Not pretty - but very high functionality.

Highly recommended.

These were the best synthetic bags I could find for my money, Doug: http://www.classiccruiser.com/product.asp?item=156663
Phil: Those look really nice - but they can't be locked (i.e. locking the lid to protect the contents). I once had a Hard Rock hat that I'd brought back as a souvenir from a trip to Malta. Someone stole it out of my saddlebags. Even since - I don't consider any bags which cannot be locked.

Back