Key not authorized to be used with bike serial number

With any luck it will run... haha, not funny. J/k, but seriously, I am trying to download the tune to the computer right now. I am trying to get the 20050_02 tune put in my tuneboy directory. Having problems with this, I just got this laptop and I not used to vista, when I go to download it, I am trying to save it in the right place. You have any tips for this?

Thanks guys

Shane :D

Ok I am going to go down to the bike and try to install this tune on the bike.

Is there a way to save the stock tune that is on the bike. Tune number 20145, this is a triumph tune obviously.

Just in case something goes wrong I want to have this one saved somewhere as a back up.

Thanks for all your help guys, if I can make it up to the RAA this year I buy some beers.

Shane

The download button is not turning yellow.. grrr it is just saying in the bottom right hand corner, initilisation string sent.

Last edited:
Ok I am now going through the process on tuneboys site for setting up your tuneboy software. The reason I did not go through this in the first place is how the page is started, "If you have problems with tune edit connecting to your ecu" I will let you know how it goes

Thanks again

Shane

Assuming you found the right tune, saved it, and have it open, you should be fine. By having it open, I mean all the tables should be populated. If it doesn't get past that 'initialization string sent' point, just stop it and start over. Mine has hung there a couple of times but always takes off the second time I try.

I don't know if it matters but I always make sure I do things in the same order.

Connect the cable to the laptop and the bike.

Turn the ignition on.

Launch Tune Edit.

Open the appropriate tune.

Click on Download.

If it doesn't get past the 'Initialization String Sent' point, stop and start over.

Yeah I hear you, I appreciate all your help on this. I am seriously about to pull my hair out over here. I could not get the download button to turn yellow, so I have for the fourth time now uninstalled this. I went through the procedure I talked about in the previous post and downloaded tuneboys latest drivers/program. Only to get done and everything installed with the exception of tune edit. How nice, back at it again:mad:

Maybe I will have this sorted tomorrow. As for tonight, I am done.

Shane

Shane - I always had better luck too when the bike was on a charger and the laptop was also plugged in.

Also try using different USB ports and see what happens. And try hooking the bike up first then opening Tunedit and vice versa.

I'm going to assume you've found the Properties under the Options pull down menu item. Your new key goes here.

The Cable Type selection might cause you fits, it has me. I assumed USB is the proper selection. While the cable connection is in fact a USB cable from the laptop to the bike I select com port 2 and all usually works well. I can't tell you why. Also under the Options menu is Slow Download Time. I use the slow mode to greater success. I have once had to recover from a failed download. I was not a happy camper.

There is no downloading of the current resident tune from the ECU. You can identify the basic tune number, eg., 20228 or 20145, but any sort of additional personalized file naming you come up for an edited tune (hot to trot, super duper pot scrubber, etc, etc) will not be displayed. Which may be a good thing.

Speaking of Slow Download: The first change over to a base tune that is different from the current tune (20145 to 20228) the download will be much longer the first time around. Now should you modify the 20228 file with an adjustment here or there (ie., add no-pop table) the download will be much much faster. Be sure to follow the directions and avoid a failed download. I run a tune that I call the No-pop Junior most of the time for fuel savings and load my No-Pop Senior for full power aspirations. The "no-pop" component is the same but the amount of opening of the secondaries is the difference.

You didn't mention whether you've a Touring model. Tune Constants and other components of the tune files are possibly different. For instance, I could mention a figure for the wheel speed constant that would fix the speedo error. But that figure might only be applicable on other than a Touring model.

Last edited:
:bch:

You guys are great on here, I finally got this thing to work.......but I killed the battery on the bike and it is now on the battery tender.

I downloaded the 20050_2 Tune on my bike.
It is a 2005 Rocket 3, non classic, non touring with the TOR pipes with Cat Delete.

I do not have the triple K&N's yet, I have only had the bike for 3 weeks and to be honest I was still getting used to the power, but the lure of the tuneboy was just too much to stay away from.

Tomorrow after the battery is charged I will look into the reset adaptives, and the o2 sensor delete, along with going to pick up the 18 mm oil plug so I can remove the o2 sensor.

I really appreciate all the help!!

What worked for me was alot of advice here, alot of trial and error, and what I am pretty sure some luck as well.

I tried to download the program from tuneboys webpage, the "Getting Started" page, and for some reason when I downloaded the latest drivers/ programs, the tune edit program would not download. Tried it twice and both times with the same result, so I went back and tried again with the disk, following your advice and with a little more knowledge I finally got it to work.

Thanks again, hopefully somewhere or sometime down the line I will have some advice that might help you.

Shane

Nah, just keep asking questions, it lets us old guys exercise our brains and give it that kick start to remember to breathe all the time !!!!!!:D

Glad ta hear you worked it out. Now I know who ask when I get mine (PIG9R always seems to lurk just when ya need him). Let us know what differences you have noticed!!

mutt

Back