JW Speaker 8630 Evolutions Fitted

tdragger

Living Legend
I finally received the pair of JW Speaker 8630 Evolution headlights from www.ok4wd.com that were purchased for $385 each.

Of concern was the connector supplied with the headlights but as you can see they are standard H4 connectors for the headlights with 2 additional tails for the Position and DRL lights.

NOTE: When the lights are fitted to the stock shells, there is NO room for making the H4 connection in the shell. You must make the connection under the tank and the supplied leads are plenty long enough to reach.

I started the install by removing the headlight leads from the shell. I have the Eastern Beaver kit so it was easy to pull the leads from the H4 connector and push them back through the small hole in the shell. Then I pushed the stock position light through the same hole. IMPORTANT: remove and save the rubber grommet that holds the leads in the shell.

Next I took the leads that came with the new headlights and fitted a heat shrink sleeve to them. This also required the removal of the plugs from the H4 housing. You have to cut off the plugs from the purple and red wires in order to fit the sleeve.

The end result is this lead that you and push through the hole in the headlight shell. FIT THE GROMMET saved from above before fitting to the shell.

Now the tricky part. When fitting the 8630 to the shell, you do not use the positioning ring that comes with the stock headlight. The 8630 will more or less "click" into place to hold the correct position. Fit the headlight ring and tighten down firmly.

Now fold the EB leads back under the tank and route the new leads around the steering head and make the connection. It would be wise to test at this point.

Low Beam

High Beam

I also tapped the red position light lead for the 8630 into the yellow wire of the stock wiring harness to power the position lights.

I hope this sheds some light (har-har) on the topic. I need to wait until dark to make aiming adjustments.

Here is a comparison with one 8630 and the stock headlight (w/ EB kit).

Last edited:
You should be a considerably happier camper riding at night with those things on there. Congrats.

Sell the 8630's and buy evos and pay less in total. Used LED lights should still have decades of use in them. :)

Sell the 8630's and buy evos and pay less in total. Used LED lights should still have decades of use in them. :)
I now have adaptive lighting - EVO's still cant shine around corners ;).

I compared the costs and decided adaptive cornering lights made more sense.
Yes I know you want photo's - but it's pointless taking photos of lights in daylight - and my pills knock me out before it gets dark at the mo'.

I definitely need to make some adjustments after my first evening ride. High beams show every owl sitting up in the trees. I'm sure the low beams are blinding oncoming motorists.

I definitely need to make some adjustments after my first evening ride. High beams show every owl sitting up in the trees. I'm sure the low beams are blinding oncoming motorists.
LED's are FUSSY - If the EVOS have a broad flat cut off - Shine at a wall with you sat on it. Get the missus to mark wall. Set them at a gnats todger lower than the centre line height of the headlamps. About 1metre iirc.
The further you are from the wall the more accurate you can be. The cut off SHOULD BE 1.5º below horizontal

LED's are FUSSY - If the EVOS have a broad flat cut off - Shine at a wall with you sat on it. Get the missus to mark wall. Set them at a gnats todger lower than the centre line height of the headlamps. About 1metre iirc.
The further you are from the wall the more accurate you can be. The cut off SHOULD BE 1.5º below horizontal

Excellent. That was my next question.

Back