MickyB

Supercharged
Ride
2008 Rocket 111
Hi All, just joined. Got my heart set on an R3 as my return to bikes after many years. Really looking forward to finding the right one and getting into it. Have looked at a few and I am trying to line up a test ride this weekend. Any thing to be wary of on a first ride?

Let me be the first to welcome you! To answer your question...the throttle! If you whack it hard she will bring the front off the ground! Not something normal with an 800lb bike! She's very heavy so watch the tight turns at very slow speeds. Other than that she's a smooth riding, nimble (for a big girl), monster of a riding torque machine! Enjoy! If you're looking used, I'd shoot for 09 or newer (unless the owner is aware of and installed the update kit).

I have looked at a nice looking 06 model that has everything I want and reasonably priced, one owner. Is the upgrade kit about the retuning?

G'day and welcome from an old Newcastle lad. Whereabouts in OZ are you from?

Some, but by no means all, early RIIIs had a problem with jumping out of 2nd gear on HARD acceleration. The update kit fixed this, and while they were in there, a few other things were also updated. If the bike you are looking at has a few miles on it, and doesn't jump out of 2nd at WOT, then it is probably okay. Ask the owner about the update kit or any issues similar to that.

The thing to be careful, especially if you haven't ridden for a few years, is that this is a big, heavy, and powerful bike. You have never ridden anything like it before, so be very, very careful.

Welcome @MickyB from another Aussie, just hang on enjoy and consider all the great info/advice received here.
I'm selling my Matt Black 2010 R3R if things don't work out.

Back