Rocket Scientist

Grand Exulted Poobah
Ride
Black 05' Rocket III standard
Anyone who's been following my life's story (seriously, I hope you have something better to do) knows when I had my R3 tore down to replace the output shaft bearings I noticed my rear splines were in bad shape. The bike had 16,000 miles on it when I got it. The splines were bone dry at my first tire change, and there was a large amount of debris in that area. Since that time they have always been slathered in Honda moly grease. I believe the damage was done before I got it. At any rate, I planned on renewing the shaft and final drive this winter. Today I bought what looks to be a good drive shaft on eat-me-bay for $10.00. It came from a place that builds trikes. It's missing the piece that slides on the tranny (easy Jim ;)) shaft as I assume they needed it. That part on my drive shaft looks like new so I thought "no problem". Well, "problem". Triumph only sells the drive shaft as an assembly. I thought I could just buy a new U-joint, combine the good parts, and be on my way. I don't know if I can take my shaft apart without damaging the u-joint. Anybody ever taken one apart ? Looks like I may have bought a $10.00 pry bar :(

Shaft.jpg

i have seen a better picture and i think that ujoint is what is called a tension joint it is about .003 inch larger than normal. if you take it to a good parts store with a caliper measurement they might be able to find you a new one. if you can give me the measurements today or tomorrow i can help you find one.
if i was changing that joint i would take the $10 shaft pull both clips(take a deep socket tap down on the cup then remove clip turn over then tap down on cup then remove clip) lay shaft on two 4x4s place socket on top of ujoint cup and pound down driving out opposite cup. sometimes the joint will hit the shaft before the cup comes out then you can use vice grips or put the cup in a vice. after you have one cup out you turn it over and put the deep socket on the cross piece and drive out the other cup.
if you are careful you can save the the joint. if you find a new joint you can change if not you only have to to take out the two cup on the drive shaft leaving the yoke and joint together.
if you find a shop that builds driveshafts and tell him that is a tension joint he can probably change it for you. if you want to talk on the phone you can pm me.

i have seen a better picture and i think that ujoint is what is called a tension joint it is about .003 inch larger than normal. if you take it to a good parts store with a caliper measurement they might be able to find you a new one. if you can give me the measurements today or tomorrow i can help you find one.
if i was changing that joint i would take the $10 shaft pull both clips(take a deep socket tap down on the cup then remove clip turn over then tap down on cup then remove clip) lay shaft on two 4x4s place socket on top of ujoint cup and pound down driving out opposite cup. sometimes the joint will hit the shaft before the cup comes out then you can use vice grips or put the cup in a vice. after you have one cup out you turn it over and put the deep socket on the cross piece and drive out the other cup.
if you are careful you can save the the joint. if you find a new joint you can change if not you only have to to take out the two cup on the drive shaft leaving the yoke and joint together.
if you find a shop that builds driveshafts and tell him that is a tension joint he can probably change it for you. if you want to talk on the phone you can pm me.

Thanks ! I'll know more when I get it. It seems like the shaft in mine didn't use clips but rather the cups were installed and then "staked". If it does in fact use clips, I should be able to do the swap. I have access to a nice press at work. If I can't figure it out I'll give you hollar. :D

they say you can not replace a u joint that is staked. however i would think that a shop that balances drive shafts could the job. does it look like that drive shaft end can be press off and on?
i personally will not use a press to change a u joint because it is easy to bend the yoke so when you try to install the clips it makes the joints to tight.

On my 1500 vulcan classic, the driveshaft was also sold as an assy. but some research found that an ATV u-joint was a perfect fit and the cost was only about $16.00 vs $500+ for the whole assy. Unfortunately, You are probably the first for the Rocket research.

Few of us have looked into this over the years... nobody has ever found a replacement uni joint to suit....and they are not meant to be removed anyway.. Hope you can come up with something!!

Otherwise.......

Enjoy your pry bar!

PS.... a new drive shaft assembly ain't THAT bad pricewise... I think around USD300. Try Andy at North County Yamaha/triumph andy@ncyyamaha.com best prices, great service.

Got a spare driveshaft myself , as well as a spare diff. Was quietly confident I had it covered till I read about the U-Joints .. let me know if you find a solution please Fred.

Few of us have looked into this over the years... nobody has ever found a replacement uni joint to suit....and they are not meant to be removed anyway.. Hope you can come up with something!!

Otherwise.......

Enjoy your pry bar!

PS.... a new drive shaft assembly ain't THAT bad pricewise... I think around USD300. Try Andy at North County Yamaha/triumph andy@ncyyamaha.com best prices, great service.

300 DOLLARS ! Do ya fergit lad I'm Scottish ?

Back