It won't even start now

Has anyone done a compression test? I think that woul tell me if the mechanicals are ok. Cranking sounds ok. I can't find compression test numbers anywhere. I figured if I just pulled the easiest plug and the test was high enough...the rest would be a waste of time.
When doing a compression test you have to test all three cylinders, if you have messed around with your chain make sure the timing is correct or the beast will never start.:eek:

I understand that all three cylinders should be similar in compression, what is a good baseline....I would guess around 60 would be way low....120 no way. There should be a ballpark number I am looking for. Even briggs & Stratton gives you a recommended compression number for the engines. The only thing I have done to the chain is remove the spring, measure the depth of the plunger, it was over 20mm. this calls for the addition of the spacer. I did that, it ran fine with no noise. Keep in mind, my problems did not happen all of a sudden, it did get worse real faast once I noticed a problem, I woulds say within about a mile of riding and two or three starts in the garage after that, now it won't even start.

A compression test usually requires turning the engine over and if valve timing is out could cause damage. Please verify valve timing before turning crank if you suspect timing chain problems. Your problem could just be a TPS fault but if you have had timing chain issues you should definitely rule that out first. TPS = $150, Bent Valves = $2000 approx.

And if I do have chain issues, it is a little late now, the way I have cranked it over about 10 times. You can usually tell by the cranking sound if it has compression or not, I think the innards are fine. After laa this, It probably is a TPS and I will find out on my next days off. By then, I shoud have my cable. If not, I may get out the vom, tap into the yellow wire and look at voltage.
I t just chaps me to think I have problems already. Glad I have a Wing to ride come spring, I won't be without a ride!

I certainly appreciate all the feedback I got from this site. Folks are more than happy to respond to problems. Atomsplitter suggested fouled plugs. After doing a lot of checks, I pulled a second plug and carefully examined the spark......it did come in an irregular pattern. I do remember in school, they had a plug tester that blew air onto the plug ti simulate compression.........I could visualize these plugs blowing out. A quick trip to Summitt racing for a under the tank K&N and the CORRECT -7 ngk plugs. 12 min tune and then an oil change to Amsiol 20-50 and away we go. My results are impressive. Cool sound with the K&N , VERY touchy in first and second gear (cold roads) will go right to the limlter in first if you just try to blast it. Seems to shift smoother all around. popping gone.
I am thrilled with the performance now.......the plugs were pretty bad and My first few rides after I got the bike were NOT at all what the bike was supposed to be doing!
Now it is time to learn the limits of this beast and have fun.....no changes for a while except the RIKEN RAPTOR that will be here tuesday. The Metz is about gone and for sure will be after the next few rides.

Thanks again all!,,,, JET :):):)

If you decide youneed to install the spacer, let me know, I had one made and the guy made two! I will send it to you, caution, they say if you don't need it, don't install it.

Cool, Jet. Glad you got it fixed. I live about 40 miles south of Cincinnati. Maybe we can do a ride in the spring. I will be going to Maggie Valley in the spring. Think about it. You can put some faces to some of these names.
Good Luck,
Kid
kidcity22@gmail.com

Back