Calboy

.040 Over
Ride
2005 Rocket III
The low fuel light comes on at 109 miles on my 2005 Rocket III. If I gas up immediately after the low fuel light comes on, it only takes about three and a half gallons to fill up the tank. First time I was really surprised before reading in here about the problems with the float/sending unit arm.
Simple math tells me that my gas mileage is roughly 35miles/gallon.
Low fuel light came on yesterday but I chose to ignore it. Today I was in a very tight right-hand turn, doing maybe 50mph, and while attempting to downshift the engine suddenly died on me.
I pulled over, turned the ignition off and then about a minute later I turned it back on, hit start, and the engine started right up. Got back on the freeway and took the first exit, trying to make it to a Shell gas station I knew.
Had to make a u-turn at the light and while coming out of the turn it sputtered a couple of times but I managed to keep the engine running as I was rolling into the gas station.
I used a flashlight trying to see how much gas was left in the tank, and all I could see was that the gas level was extremely low. The odometer read 154 miles.
It took 5.1 gallons to fill it up.My understanding is that the tank capacity is 6,5 gallons, so if that's correct it means that it was about 1,4 gallons left in the tank. And if that was the case why was the bike acting like it was out of gas?
After getting gas, the bike ran fine. Took all the sharp turns in the world but I couldn't get it to act up again. This was the first time I experienced this problem.
I run the stock pipes without the cat and according to the dealership the ecu runs the newest map available for the 2005 model. The bike runs good, no complaints whatsoever.
I would like to get some advice as to what you guys thing it might have caused the problem described above.

Just about always run mine to the warning light, and distance to empty reads 0, then fill and normally takes about 20 ltrs, according to the book it holds 23.5 ltrs. Decide to see how far I could go only once, light was on with DTE 0, went about 20km max and I ran out of gas so now........

I would like to get some advice as to what you guys thing it might have caused the problem described above.
As well as all the above. Take into account that when you bank the fuel pick up could well be above the fuel level. I've had this on other bikes too - there is often an unusable bit of the "reserve".
http://www.tourtank.com/portable.html?

Given all the variables one of which is the gas stations accuracy on their pumps... the most I ever could get into any of my rockets were 5.978 gallons of fuel and that was after coasting into the station. Also the rocket mpg varies a lot depending on your right hand... the only time I get similar mpgs between tanks is when I am going long distance and cruising at similar speeds...

[QUOTE="Calboy.
I would like to get some advice as to what you guys thing it might have caused the problem described above.[/QUOTE]

You ran out off fuel, that was the problem.
Don't do it again, once is a mistake, twice is dumb.
When "full" there is an air pocket above fuel level, technically for expansion
When "empty" there is fuel below pick up level.
It is a 6.3 US gallon tank with only around 5.1/2 gallons usable.
Never managed to get 5 proper (English) gallons in mine.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Calboy.

You ran out off fuel, that was the problem.
Don't do it again, once is a mistake, twice is dumb.
When "full" there is an air pocket above fuel level, technically for expansion
When "empty" there is fuel below pick up level.
It is a 6.3 US gallon tank with only around 5.1/2 gallons usable.
Never managed to get 5 proper (English) gallons in mine.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I think that is a mistake in the literature, there was discussion way back when I got mine, I think they only hold 5.6. I've seen that figure start to show up in various places.

My 06 Classic idiot light comes on between 1.9 and 2.1 gallons used! I just fill her up before I head out each time or check mileage fill up around 125 miles. Just one of the annoyances you have to put up with on ROCKET! :)

Another reason not to run it down to the bottom is that any sediment in the fuel will be far more concentrated in that last portion. This can clog your fuel filter. Just go to the next station when the light comes on instead of playing Russian Roulette. JMHO
Another thought...get the Carpenter build and get 41+ mpg on the highway even when turning the wick hard.

Back