Is this common?

rreidiii

.040 Over
I looked at my odometer today and noticed I have just put 1200mi on this beast a wonderful 1200 miles at that. I have had this happen several times now and was just hoping that the problem would cure itself. When stopped in neutral ant putting the bike in first it seems to engage even the neutral light goes out. once I start the transmission pops out of first into neutral. This has concerned me and like I said I was hoping it was just going to go away by itself. Today I was backing out of a parking stall on a slight uphill angle rolled her back in neutral and put it in first and proceeded to go it happened again where I really didn't go anywhere but lost my balance and she tipped over. last time me and a Triumph were seperated from each other it was 2 years ago on my 1200 Trophy whee I pretty much ruined the left fairing and turn indicator and scratched up he muffler. that cost 8 ribs and a pnuemothorax and lots of pride. Today was just lots of pride fortunately I was in a parking lot where I visit daily so someone helped up. So has anyone else experienced this popping out of first? if so please let me know so I can explain it to the deale when I take it in.
Thanks

I don't think this is a common problem. I think some on this forum have had transmission issues though. It might be worth having your dealer check this out. I know I have 63K miles on my Rocket, and have never had a transmission problem.

after the fist coupe of times I really make sure to make sure it engages into first but I still periodically have this problem. thanks for the input

I have noticed a false engage and then back to neutral but I just thought it was me getting used to exactly when it was truly in first and maybe a slight adjustment was necessary to the neutral sensor. very interested to hear some additional comments regarding this. btw '05 r3 standard 13,500 mi. consider this - beast had 7,185mi when I bought it in early july '11

rreidiii,

What year is your beast? There are tales of early model tranny problems, all sorted out by the 08 model. Mine's an 05 with 13,000, nary a glitch yet.

Sounds like deten spring on selector shaft. Had same problem with mine not long after i got it. Reasonably easy fix , spring can be got at by removing clutch. Mate of mine has just has his go , dodgy shop spun him a yarn about engine having to be removed $3000 bill ... don't fall for it!!

is this common

I to had this happen a few times,,, I remember reading on a post ,, ( which one I forget):eek: the post said when coming out of neutral engage the clutch twice then drop it in gear you will feel and hear a distinct sound, since using this method it has not happened,,,give it a try:cool:

This happened to me when I first got my 08'. I think it turns out that I wasn't totaly engaging the shifter. After forcefully making sure the shifter was engaged a few times the problem went away and hasn't happened since.

It is a 2009 Touring and I'm happy to hear it isn't just me. I'm dying o do some mods to her but I have a five year warranty(although that has never stopped me)and I want to make sure everything is dialed in so hopefully she won't have to go back until the 10,000 mi. service. Air Force, I have been consciously double clicking(what I call it)the gear lever from neutral to first ever since I had the problem occur. Wife just brought me lunch and I told her so we went out to look at her and fortunately not even the tiniest scratch. I will tell you all that my lower back is feeling a little stressed fortunately we had some heat packs here at work. You guys(and gals) are the absolute greatest.
Thanks!

Only time it's done it to me is when I engaged 1st without releasing the clutch in neutral first. I found I needed to get that 'clunk' into gear to be OK. When you start the bike in neutral with the clutch in (obviously), always release it in neutal after it fires up, then go into first. If it clunks you'll be fine - unless of course it's something more serious.

Back