Intermittant Starting Issues

pequaref

Standard Bore
Ride
'05 R3
Have had on and off problems starting my '05 R3 for a while now, and I'm getting really frustrated trying to find a solution.

Problem: Turn ignition on, regular gauge sweeps occur ok. Every now and then she starts in neutral as she's supposed to. More often than not all I get is a clicking sound from the starter relay ares. I have to put her in 1st gear, rock her a few times, pull in the clutch, then she'll start.

Parts Replacement to try to correct:
1) Ignitions switch
2) Starter Relay (3x)
3) Starter

Battery is good, ground cable good - no corrosion anywhere.

Has anyone heard of this problem & can offer suggestions???

It is a reasonably common occurrence with some bikes, but others have never had it. Common things to check include tight, clean connections at the battery, clean relays, heavier duty battery cables, clean contacts on starter button, replace the starter motor with heavier duty one from a Toyota, or stronger battery.

I have tried most of those things over the last 6 years but the problem never went away. However, I developed a problem in the fuse box where the large 30 amp fuse blew and then became intermittent. I noticed that one of the slots that the fuse goes into was wider than the other one. I then added a layer of solder to one of the legs on the fuse to widen it and then put it back in. I have never had a problem with the "click" response since.

I just had a very similar sounding issue, and had to replace my ignition module.

Look in the Common Issues Forum for the thread "Triumph - Stop Ignoring ...."

Good luck.

i had the same issues on an 05,followed a thread by honker and installed a relay to the start circuit under the left side cover,cured the problem but not before the 30 amp fuse roasted in the same manner as yours.installed a new fuse holder and all start issues are gone.i was so impressed with the results, that i added a relay for the headlights in the same location ,now all the power for my starting andheadlights come strait from the battery,providing crisp starting even in the cold, and my headlights finally light up the road,the thread is stickyed,WHEN YOUR STARTER GOES CLICK

Had a similar problem a few weeks ago, ordered a new ignition switch ($175.oo) changed it out. worked great for a few weeks then prob returned. I took apart starter button and cleaned points, ( they were corroded ) works great now. 2005 model, 30,000 miles. anyone need a new ignition switch.
moral of the story, don't jump to conclusions, start with the simple stuff first.

Back