installed 2nd Rikon Raptor today

seeya

Supercharged
20 couple thousand miles on first Raptor still had probably 3-5 thousand left, installed a new one today. Heading to Johnstown tomorrow. :D

Hi Lester,

think met you at RAA IV, Captain J on other site. 20 couple = 22,000, as far as sidewall wear??? side of tread I had wear from cornering. Nothing on the sidewall.

I weigh 160, girlfriend 100 and I run 27 psi. works for me.

Lester,
can't answer for seeya,
but I've got over 20,000 miles on mine now and it still looks like I got another 20
to go on it.
Now admittly,
the sides are "rounded off" and it ain't quit "square" anymore,
but even with over 20,000 on it,
I still feel safer than on a new metz.

I didn't really think anyone was wearing out their side walls I only asked the question because there was a post about it. Even a link over to .com showing a badly worn side wall. It looked like it had been run flat. BWT I have no plans for leaving the darkside, I like it here.;)

Hi Lester,

think met you at RAA IV, Captain J on other site. 20 couple = 22,000, as far as sidewall wear??? side of tread I had wear from cornering. Nothing on the sidewall.

I weigh 160, girlfriend 100 and I run 27 psi. works for me.

Heck, no wonder you get high mileage, I nearly weigh as much as the two of you then add the girlfriend but she is a light one too. Think I'll run a 12 ply truck tire:D. M/S for traction:eek:.

I still can't find anyone on any of the R3 forums that has run a Nexen N3000. It looks as if it is comparable to others run in the Dark Side. Reckon I'll play the role of sacrificial hillbilly on this one. "Going my own way" which suits me fine.

Lester I know the "point" that rears it's ugly head whenever car tires are mentioned. I believe you are correct on the run flat conclusion, I've seen that picture and just can't wrap my head around the sidewall contacting the ground if the tire is properly inflated. I've watched those videos where the guy was carving up the road and scraping the pegs. The video was shot from a chase bike and not once did I see the sidewall even get close to the ground.
It must be one of those "old wives tales" that just won't die. LOL

It's not a tale. I run a Toyo Proxes 225/55-16 between 25-28 psi and the sidewall gets scuffed from heavy lean angles. Look here:

I have the same strange gap in wear like the pics show.

Half way down page 2 of that thread there's a pic of the same tire ridden by one of them crazy Brits, and 1/2 of the Toyo logo is worn clean off the sidewall. He had close to 20K miles on it.

25 psi sure doesn't seem like much when there's nearly a thousand pounds riding on it.
Why do you have the pressure so low?
The Metzler has a sidewall stiff enough to hold up with zero pressure and it takes over 40psi. Unless it's a runflat, car tires don't have even close to that rigid a sidewall. They rely on air pressure to support the weight, 25psi would allow it to bulge, even worse when it's up on the tires edge in a corner.
That's what Lester and I are talking about when it looks like they've been run flat. The bulging sidewall can rub on all kinds of things, including building heat internally.

A car tire can typically support 1/4 of say 3500 lbs, so 1/2 of 1000 is not a problem, I think.
The low pressure allows the tire to deform during lean, gripping better.

See the thread I referenced above for all arguments on both sides.

Back