Info needed on TOR exhaust???

TORS for a Roadster are 2 slip on mufflers to replace the stock mufflers. They eliminate the cats because on a Roadster they are in the pipes. The "cat box" under the bike is empty and provides the connection and balance. I understand it has some baffling or plates inside for that purpose but no cat. The Staintune connector pipe on a Roadster therefore does not eliminate the cat but provides a freer flowing crossover between the 2 sides.

On a Standard/Classic (3 pipe) system, the cat is in the box, not the mufflers. If you just replace the pipes on these older models with TORS you still have the cat so a cat eliminator is needed. Staintune make a nice free flowing one and Triumph make one that is often referred to as "exhaust upgrade". You can also remove the cat and keep the standard pipes, which several people have done. This provides better flow and a slightly deeper note.

Mierda!
Thanks, Ygransom. Back to square 1 for me I guess.

An interesting aside
:
On my puter, your post at 5:03PM appears as the last one in this thread; BUT, while writing this reply, I can see one posted 13 minutes later when scrolling up by CanberraR3. Wonder what's up with this?

CanberraR3:
TORS for a Roadster are 2 slip on mufflers to replace the stock mufflers. They eliminate the cats because on a Roadster they are in the pipes. The "cat box" under the bike is empty and provides the connection and balance. I understand it has some baffling or plates inside for that purpose but no cat. The Staintune connector pipe on a Roadster therefore does not eliminate the cat but provides a freer flowing crossover between the 2 sides.

On a Standard/Classic (3 pipe) system, the cat is in the box, not the mufflers. If you just replace the pipes on these older models with TORS you still have the cat so a cat eliminator is needed. Staintune make a nice free flowing one and Triumph make one that is often referred to as "exhaust upgrade". You can also remove the cat and keep the standard pipes, which several people have done. This provides better flow and a slightly deeper note.

Good oil, Mate and thanx heaps!
Correct me if I be a drongo here:
1) The collector box, stamped 2209300, under my Roadster that obviously bifurcates the header has no catalytic material; but, does impede airflow.
2) The TORs are only different mufflers and a cat bypass is still needed.
3) Part A9608077 is applicable to only the older Standard and Classic models.
4) Is there a bypass that fits the new Roadster?
Awesome response - what is the time difference from me to you? Almost 6PM here.
Best Regards,
1olbull

If you look at post #23, that's what you want, although you can install TORS without and retain the current 'empty' box.

It's 11.26am on Friday here just now.

Put what I know in red below

Mierda!
Thanks, Ygransom. Back to square 1 for me I guess.

An interesting aside:
On my puter, your post at 5:03PM appears as the last one in this thread; BUT, while writing this reply, I can see one posted 13 minutes later when scrolling up by CanberraR3. Wonder what's up with this? someone who understands computers will need to explain

CanberraR3:

Good oil, Mate and thanx heaps!
Correct me if I be a drongo here:
1) The collector box, stamped 2209300, under my Roadster that obviously bifurcates the header has no catalytic material; but, does impede airflow. Correct
2) The TORs are only different mufflers and a cat bypass is still needed. If you have a Roadster (or Touring) the TORs remove the cats as they are part of the muffler. You don't need a cat bypass( or collect box elimnator) but will get more power with one.
3) Part A9608077 is applicable to only the older Standard and Classic models. Not sure but should be as it would have 3 outlets.
4) Is there a bypass that fits the new Roadster?
Awesome response - what is the time difference from me to you? Almost 6PM here.
Best Regards,
1olbull

Thanks to you guys, I think now I finally understand. When I previously read the post I didn't know enough to really understand it. After today's exchange with you guys, it clicked.

At $600 for that simple welded bypass tubing, I'll pass and either do my own or just leave the stock box. I'm going to make a move on EBay at $420 for the: Triumph Rocket III Roadster Performance Exhaust Silencers OEM A9608077

Thank you for ALL the help.
Gratitude,
1olbull

Guy's
I thought that TORS and a Cat Bypass along with the Triumph tune
Will reduce power as the Triumph tune will close the secondaries some more
The bike will sound better..bit with a slight loss of power
Is this correct

Ray

I have a Roadster that came with standard catalytic mufflers. I changed the mufflers to the TORs mufflers and bought a free flow collector/crossover that does away with the restrictive crossover. If you are wanting a little bit quieter exhaust but still has a bit of "bite" this is the way to go. I can tell you all that you will need for this system if you like. The next step up (louder) from that would be the Jardines exhaust system.

Guy's
I thought that TORS and a Cat Bypass along with the Triumph tune
Will reduce power as the Triumph tune will close the secondaries some more
The bike will sound better..bit with a slight loss of power
Is this correct

Ray

The TORs tune does close secondaries to give you a richer mix but is way too lean in any case. The pipes flow better and I wouldn't say I experienced a loss of power; certainly more noise and a lot of decal popping but it also seemed to go better. I also removed the secondaries, which actually leaned it up even more, and added triple K&N filters. Also installed a GiPro with ATRE to derestrict the first three gears. To overcome the lean mix I installed a Dobeck TFI to add fuel. That's when I really noticed a huge improvement. Others have gone the route of Power Commanders (PCIII, PCV). Hanso's explained in much detail why he thinks that's the way to go, along with different tuning (mapping) and the Auto Tune module.

The point is that if you allow the exhaust to flow freer and also put more air in at the other end by removing/opening secondaries, adding triple filters etc, you must add more fuel. Plenty of ways to do that including adding gizmo's like Dobeck and PCV and playing with tunes with Tune ECU or Tuneboy. Depends on how much fiddling you want to do and how much you want to spend.

Back