Info needed on TOR exhaust???

sstcycles19

Standard Bore
I need some information on exhaust. I just picked up a Rocket and need to improve the sound. I have a chance to buy a used set of TOR's exhaust on Craigslist. Will they make a big difference over stock with the catalytic converter still installed? I wanted to install these for a short time until I get a complete system installed. Is it worth my time? Will the TOR's require a power commander or tuneboy?

Any exhaust change will require some kind of fuel trim alteration. I've had D&D and now TOR with cat bypass, The TOR's have a good sound that is louder than stock by around double. I think the TOR's have about the best sound available for an R3, even better than Jardine IMO.

Tors

I recommend getting rid of the cat box though
I had Tors installed from new but still had the cat and i couldn't notice much difference
until i parked it next to another stock rocket and it was louder butt nothing to write home about
so i had the cat removed and the spaghetti pipe thingy put in and it sounds much better :D
I did get a fair bit of decel popping with the aftermarket triumph tune they put in though but i have since installed triple K&N filters + 02 eliminator and tuned to suit with tune Ecu and this has reduced the decel popping to Immensely
Regards Mitch

Any exhaust change will require some kind of fuel trim alteration. I've had D&D and now TOR with cat bypass, The TOR's have a good sound that is louder than stock by around double. I think the TOR's have about the best sound available for an R3, even better than Jardine IMO.
I agree with Hellfire i like the sound of tors best also and u dont lose the factory rocket look. I hate seeing rocket standards with two pipes i think the triple silencers are a rocket icon .
Roadsters i can deal with because they came out with two but the two they chose to bring it out with are another topic :rolleyes: can anyone say UGLY AS A MONKEYS BUTT
if i ever own a roadster that will be the first change :D

Totally agree with HellFire and Mitch re TORs. If you can get them, get them. If they're cheap, even better. I had the Staintune cat bypass (I think that's what Mitch has too) before I put TORS on and the bike had a lot more rumble than standard even then. With TORs it of course is much louder and sounds (and goes) great. The Triumph tune was hopeless; way too lean so you need to look at one of the several options available to fix that, including Power Commander, TuneBoy, Tune ECU.....

As for Roadster pipes, "clown feet" is another desciption I've heard. They sure are big!

Spring for the manifold upgrade to go with the TOR's. You can find them on Ebay too.

Your dealer can install a TOR's tune that works okay but you can get more power with tune boy, power comander, or tune ecu .

IMHO a power comander and a custom dyno tune is the easiest and best way to go. Unless you live close to Power Tripp then I would use tune ecu.

awesome feedback guys. Thanks for letting me know. Let me get this right, ith the cat still on the bike, will it still sound good? I do intend to bypass the cat, K&N filters etc. But financially, for now I just want to get the TOR's on there.

awesome feedback guys. Thanks for letting me know. Let me get this right, ith the cat still on the bike, will it still sound good? I do intend to bypass the cat, K&N filters etc. But financially, for now I just want to get the TOR's on there.

Should still sound pretty bad ass with the cat installed. But it will run better without.

Spring for the manifold upgrade to go with the TOR's. You can find them on Ebay too.

Your dealer can install a TOR's tune that works okay but you can get more power with tune boy, power comander, or tune ecu .

IMHO a power comander and a custom dyno tune is the easiest and best way to go. Unless you live close to Power Tripp then I would use tune ecu.
What manifold upgrade? Is this something new I don't know about or are you talking about the cat bypass under the bike?
I've been hoping for a header to come out to replace the stock manifold that works with TOR's. (and not a custom job that cost's 2 grand either)

Mitch I totally agree with the two pipe on one side butt ugly thing ... they actually look good until you walk around to the side with nothing. I had the D&D's for awhile and the first thing the wife said was "but the left side looks ugly and naked" .... after that comment I couldn't find a set of TOR's fast enough.;)

I do like the Roaster duals because of the huge size ... If I wasn't out of work right now there have been a couple sets of Roaster TOR's for sale I would have liked to have.
Is it true they come in long and short versions or is that just for the T-Bird?
I know some don't like those giant cans, but I do .... I thought the Yamaha Warrior looked cool just because of how long the bike is and the massive exhaust. LOL

Back