Ignition Replaced Now Bad Miss

dobro

Supercharged
Ride
2011 R3T
Thursday I had the ignition switch replaced on my 2011 R3T. The ride home from the shop the bike was missing so badly I wasn't sure I'd make it but I did. Friday did the 12 minute tune and engine light finally went out and bike purring again. Today rode for about an hour and running well but if not winding out engine it would start missing. Second ride today ok for first 15 miles to bar. On way home started missing if not wound out then started missing in 1st and 2nd so bad I wasn't sure I'd make it home. Obviously either the changing of the ignition screwed something up or something was knocked out of place during the procedure. Any ideas? Thanks.

Since they had her apart I would check the low tension leads and the connectors up front in case they disturbed something. Actually they should be doing it for you since they screwed the pooch on it.

Thanks, Warp9. It is not a Triumph dealership but they are good guys and they'll try to correct it at no charge. Could the problem be caused by the bike's ECM not yet adjusting to the new ignition or is it definitely a mechanical issue?

Thanks, Warp9. It is not a Triumph dealership but they are good guys and they'll try to correct it at no charge. Could the problem be caused by the bike's ECM not yet adjusting to the new ignition or is it definitely a mechanical issue?
No the ecu has nothing to learn from the ignition except oh power is on :) I have never been under the Touring. but since they were messing up front near the # 1 hard to get coil they might have accidentally disturbed the leads. Which vibrate and get loose over time. Maybe you can get at # 2 and # 3 if it is on the right side like the Rocket. Check them first just pull clean and squeeze a bit with the needle nose pliers so they are tight going back on. And some dielectric grease before assembly. If you get a improvement you on the right track. The if it is still there you know you have to wrestle to get to the #1 coil.
here is a picture of the right side with the coils on the Rocket in case it will help.

2011_0122_161942.jpg

You can see both make note of your wire colors in case they are different. After that do you have tune boy or tune ecu?

Last edited:
No the ecu has noting to learn from the ignition except oh power is on :) I have never been under the Touring. but since they were messing up front near the # 1 hard to get coil they might have accidentally disturbed the leads. Which vibrate and get loose over time. Maybe you can get at # 2 and # 3 if it is on the right side like the Rocket. Check them first just pull clean and squeeze a bit with the needle nose pliers so they are tight going back on. And some dielectric grease before assembly. If you get a improvement you on the right track. The if it is still there you know you have to wrestle to get to the #1 coil.
here is a picture of the right side with the coils on the Rocket in case it will help.

2011_0122_161942.jpg

You can see both make note of your wire colors in case they are different. After that do you have tune boy or tune ecu?

Warp9, you save this forum's members hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. I know they appreciate your generosity as much as I do.

Today the mechanic checked, cleaned and re-crimped the leads on all 3 coils, checked the throttle body hoses/caps and looked for anything else under the tank that might have been disturbed when he changed the ignition switch. No improvement. What's the most likely culprit now?

what was it doing before u had ign sw replaced?
does it idle ok?
u might try starting it up letting it idle and do a wiggle test on the wiring around the ign switch.

Today the mechanic checked, cleaned and re-crimped the leads on all 3 coils, checked the throttle body hoses/caps and looked for anything else under the tank that might have been disturbed when he changed the ignition switch. No improvement. What's the most likely culprit now?
You say coil leads... Did the mechanic check the crimp connectors on the wires that power the coils as they are notorious for coming lose.

Back