I have some tune questions

1BigDog

Gone to the Dogs!
Ride
Size 12 Bates, extra wide
My 2008 has the 117 hp 20235 already set up by the previous owner. He also included his lap top with about 8 more tunes in it as well as the tuneboy cables. However the lap top is also pretty outdated. Its a 2000 Compac with windows 2000. I am not very computer savvy so I thought I would pose my questions to you guys. I am looking to get a newer laptop, one with WiFi and at least windows 7. I need win 7 or 8 to handle tunes for my Mustang GT as well as the Rocket. Any suggestions on a good basic (cheap) model. How hard would it be to transfer the programs from the old laptop to the new one? Mostly I want the laptop to hold just the tunes, its drivers and have internet access. Basically anything needed to use the tunes properly is what im looking for.

Thanks

Jeff

Any new computer that runs M$ will run Windoze 7 or 8 and will do the job.

If you just need to run TuneECU and other software in that class, as already stated any laptop on the market with Windows on it will do the job. In fact, you may not even need a laptop, you could get a Windows 8 Pro tablet, they're PC's that have no keyboard (you can add an external).

http://www.dell.com/us/p/dell-venue-8-pro/pd would no doubt work perfectly well.

Refurb: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...696&cm_re=dell_venue_8-_-34-300-696-_-Product

Or for laptops, here is a list of Windows 7 machines that should all do the job easily.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0514776&IsNodeId=1&name=Windows 7&Order=PRICE

Of course, if you want a laptop with a good balance of price/performance for other work than just TuneECU it might require some more careful balancing of price/performance.

I use a netbook running Win 7 Starter Edition. It's was a $300 laptop what is small and easy to pack into a saddle bag or luggage.

It looks like the price has gone down considerably.
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-NB505-N500BL-Intel®-Processor-Display/dp/B004MF194A

Thanks Phil. Im watching one now on Ebay. Price range is good too. My SCT hand held tuner for the Mustang needs Windows 7 or better to operate and ill just load the Rocket tunes in there as well. I just needed something cheap to use only for the vehicles. I have a MAC pc but its not compatible with SCT tuners.

Thanks Phil. Im watching one now on Ebay. Price range is good too. My SCT hand held tuner for the Mustang needs Windows 7 or better to operate and ill just load the Rocket tunes in there as well. I just needed something cheap to use only for the vehicles. I have a MAC pc but its not compatible with SCT tuners.

The Mac (if it's a modern OS X Mac) can be equipped with something like Parallels or VMware Fusion, ie virtual Windows. Or even be made to dual-boot (bootcamp) into Windows. But that is a bit more fiddly.

I got a Windows 8 desktop for my wife and it was terrible. I only work in the desktop mode and it was very unstable - sometimes froze doing the most basic things. We returned it and got a Windows 7 machine. I know TuneECU worked fine with my Windows 7 laptop.

I got a Windows 8 desktop for my wife and it was terrible. I only work in the desktop mode and it was very unstable - sometimes froze doing the most basic things. We returned it and got a Windows 7 machine. I know TuneECU worked fine with my Windows 7 laptop.

The newer Windows 8.1 update allows booting straight to the desktop and really isn't unstable at all, but it is quite a change from Windows 7 or previous. Windows 8 isn't selling hugely well because primarily it introduced a new user interface that people just don't like on the desktop.

I use it on XP, win 7 and win 8.1 or whatever the last update was and it runs perfect on all, I only use the 10 inch acer laptop (XP) for connecting to bike with out any dramas

If tuning is all you're using it for, you can probably uninstall almost all other software from the compaq and just upgrade it to windows 7 OS a lot cheaper than a new platform? Just a thought?

Back