I have a plan, but have questions

Bob R

Living Legend
Ride
2013 R3T
I picked up a set of TORS off of ebay for an attractive price today, so, I will now have to move up my plans for world domination, or at least road domination around here. :D

I will do the TORS, and from what I understand, There is a gentleman on here who sells all of the K&N filters I will need. Besides the 3 singles, what else is needed?

Once I get the K&Ns and the TORS installed, do I need to do anything with the O2 sensor? How about the secondaries, or is there a tune that will open them up and keep them there, or do I even need to do that?

I will be in touch here with one of the greats to figure out how to do the tune myself, the dealer and I probably won't be able to agree on a decent price to install the tune, and besides, how hard can it be?

Any how, that's the plan, let's see if I can work it out.

bob

There is some question on the TuneECU site about 2013 models. I have a 2013 Rocket 3 Touring model. Does the tune for the roadster work on the touring?

bob

Touring and roadster tunes do not cross over, from my understanding. I know some new models are tamper proof, I missed that yours is a 2013, but I don't believe Rockets were affected, but someone more knowledgeable will hopefully chime in.

There is some question on the TuneECU site about 2013 models. I have a 2013 Rocket 3 Touring model. Does the tune for the roadster work on the touring?

bob
NO they will not if you try it and it will lock your ecu up.

You had better check th evin number befor you mes with any software tuning aids. According to tune ecu. I have not heard either way about tune boy so I would send them a email asking as it might be your only alternative.

I picked up a set of TORS off of ebay for an attractive price today, so, I will now have to move up my plans for world domination, or at least road domination around here. :D

I will do the TORS, and from what I understand, There is a gentleman on here who sells all of the K&N filters I will need. Besides the 3 singles, what else is needed?

Once I get the K&Ns and the TORS installed, do I need to do anything with the O2 sensor? How about the secondaries, or is there a tune that will open them up and keep them there, or do I even need to do that?

I will be in touch here with one of the greats to figure out how to do the tune myself, the dealer and I probably won't be able to agree on a decent price to install the tune, and besides, how hard can it be?

Any how, that's the plan, let's see if I can work it out.

bob

Flips the man for the K&N filters you need. He is a member here... when i fitted K&N's to my bike i had it dyno tuned.

Here's what I did. Not saying it's perfect or even better than some other options. I'm not even suggesting you should do it But it was simple; no dyno and no fiddling with tunes.

Got dealer to install TORs and load TORs tune.
I removed secondaries.
Installed triple filters (all five!) purchased from Flip.
Installed GIPro with ATRE - to remove restriction in 1-3. Gear indicator is cool too.
Installed Dobeck TFI (also from Flip) to address way too lean running as result of other changes. Much cheaper than a Power Commander and I can adjust it easily with a small screw driver.

I love the way it runs; starts instantly, idles smoothly and goes like a scalded cat.

This was very simple to do myself (except load TORs tune - I could have and should have fitted the pipes myself) and I'm very happy with the results. I still have the TORs tune and have no desire to mess with it.

Here's what I did. Not saying it's perfect or even better than some other options. I'm not even suggesting you should do it But it was simple; no dyno and no fiddling with tunes.

Got dealer to install TORs and load TORs tune.
I removed secondaries.
Installed triple filters (all five!) purchased from Flip.
Installed GIPro with ATRE - to remove restriction in 1-3. Gear indicator is cool too.
Installed Dobeck TFI (also from Flip) to address way too lean running as result of other changes. Much cheaper than a Power Commander and I can adjust it easily with a small screw driver.

I love the way it runs; starts instantly, idles smoothly and goes like a scalded cat.

This was very simple to do myself (except load TORs tune - I could have and should have fitted the pipes myself) and I'm very happy with the results. I still have the TORs tune and have no desire to mess with it.
I would suspect that adding the velocity stacks that Duncan found for the rocket to the triple filters will make more power. After reading the information about velocity staks even a simple straight curve on the entrance of the stackes will make more power thenastraigh cut bore like on th e2780's maybe you can get 2780's that fit the top of the velocity stacks. Velocity of sound can get them Duncan said it was 130,00 Oz dollars shipped to his door and he has not got it on the dyno yet but feels a difference in the butt dyno? I whish they were elliptical radii entering th estacks as they have been proved to increase power over the simple radius entrance. Thanls Chris for the reading material for the technical library. Of course I will be checking on this and ITG foam filters to fit also. I will keep you guys posted.

Well, here is the plan. I have ordered the K&Ns, have the TORS. I think that will do it for now. There will be a dyno tuner in town later this month, which will allow me to get the best tune for the bike. I ordered some velocity stacks, we will see if they get here before tune day, if so, I may put them on. If not, I will install them after the tune. The tuner doesn't think they I will need a retune after putting them on right away, so I can wait for him to come back to town after installing them.

After that, all that will be left is some minor electrical work so I can run a Garmin Nuvi and the eco boost plug so I have a full complement of gauges.

Just in time for riding season to start.

bob

Back