I am stupid - help! Clutch/12 minute tune

Rocket Ronnie

.060 Over
Hi guys. Before someone tells me I am a stupid idiot who should be prevented from ever touching anything mechanical, I will acknowledge I am. I have screwed my r3 bike/ trike up and need some advice please in figuring out what I have done. Because it's a trike it's a bit of a challenge getting servicing done - dealer is some way off so minor things I mess with myself. Anyway....

Last week the bike started to run rough and misfire. It was the hottest day of the year. I figured it might need a 12 minute tune as other things seemed OK. (It's a 2007 roadster). I have always had a problem with finding neutral on the beast. It is fitted with a klicktronic gear change system which activates a rod which changes gear because I can't use my legs.

So in not thinking or checking this out, because I couldn't find neutral, I thought why not just pull the clutch in and run the 12 minute tune? Which I did. Now I have no clutch. Engine runs fine but no drive.

So now I need to figure out what I have done. Any advice gratefully received. I'm probably going to have to find someone to transport it to somewhere now to get it fixed. Trike builder and or/ triumph dealer so if I can find out what I have done it might be a good starting point. Thanks in advance. Ron

It is possible that you had trouble finding neutral because the clutch was not adjusted correctly. Then when you ran the bike with the clutch in for and extended time, you either wore out the clutch actuating mechanism or burned the steels in the clutch, or both. There is about 4 hours work replacing all that, plus parts. If you get in there and find that is the problem then I highly recommend MTC clutch fibres and warp9.9's external spring modification.

Thanks idk. That sounds like a logical assessment of the damage. I'm gonna really miss my trike while he's in the garage being fixed. I might go lock myself in a darkened room for a while. Ron

Yeah I reckon Ian hit the nail right on the head as that is exactly what was going to say, you might check out the super charger mob TTS I think they are called they have come up with a hydraulic clutch which in my opinion should have been a std fitment to the Rocket to start with

Thanks Hanso. Like everyone else I guess I just feel sick with my bike being ill. I just want it made better. The 12 minute tune seemed to do the trick cos it runs fine. Just can't link up the engine with the wheels.

i agree with others also the amount of force that was put on the clutch actuator was also applied to the shaft behind the clutch assembly that might have done damage. i would at least have the person that works on it check end play in that shaft. looking at the book i couldn't really tell which were the thrust bearings. i think that Warp or some of the guys that have worked on the engines can tell you more.
if you do not have the update kit in your 07 now might be a good time to install it.
what does your clutch lever fell like? a lot of clearance or just a little. on the side of engine there is the clutch lever could you take a picture of it?
herman

Thanks Herman - the clutch lever feels and looks exactly the same. The actuator lever on the side of the engine looks like this.
image.jpg

lever looks right.
it doesn't seem possible in that time that it wiped the clutches out. plus if it was dragging the clutches the bike would try to be move.
sounds like time for a good mechanic.

are you 100% sure that your shiftier is moving to put it into the gears?

Apart from the plates and fibres there is another part that does not like extended time slipping especially if it had been badly adjusted and you won't see it' damage till the front is off, that would be the button head on the clutch lifter rod if it had been already worn due to incorrect clutch cable adjustment

Back