How to Install Triple K&Ns Under BearClaw

Pig9r

Living Legend
What you need:

From K&N: 3 x Ru-2780
62-1340 (for crankcase breather)
62-1560 (for air temp sensor)

If you have Tuneboy or PCIII and are eliminating the O2 sensor an M18 oil pan bolt is needed to plug the exhaust header.

I also recommend a Dynojet O2 eliminator, for two reasons, one to make sure the O2 sensor is off/just in case you forget to turn it off in Tuneboy and two it covers the empty plug in the wire harness very nicely to help protect the connection.

Thanks to forum member SpeedTrip for letting me document this mod.

Take off the seat, bear claw cover and prop the tank up using the prop wand. Remove the air box cover and the air filter. The less fuel in the tank the easier it is to lift and the less likely you are to lose any out of the vent tubes.

Start removing the intake plenum in the order shown. Fasteners # a and b are hard to see so don't forget them.

Ultimately you will end up with these pieces being removed.....

This is what attaches to the throttle bodies.

When removing the piece labeled #2 in the schematic remove the air temp sensor by simply pulling it out of the rubber bung in the intake tract. In the photo below the air temp sensor has been removed and is sitting on the rubber bung.

The the square bit next to the air temp sensor is an air pressure sensor. The fastener that is holding it in place also secures the intake tract. Remove the fastener and gently move the air pressure sensor and the attached tubing aside.

Last edited:
This is what should be removed next.

Depending on how your bike was assembled you may need to remove the left side plastic cover where the accessory power socket is fitted to loosen the bottom clamp on this piece.

Now the entire intake should be removed.

Next pull off the right plastic cover from the right side of the bike that is just behind the exhaust.

Behind the cover you will see a small black hose that connects to the crankcase vent and to the air box. There are small spring clips that secure the hose. Move the bottom one up and the top one down so you can pull the hose out. All of this can be done with your hand.

You will remove this...

And the crankcase vent will look like this..

Last edited:
Then fit the K&N 62-1340 crankcase breather. This could take a little bit of time and patience. Space is limited.

Back under the tank, secure the air pressure sensor.

And fit the K&N 62-1560 to the air temp sensor. Then secure the air temp sensor as close the throttle bodies as you can. Now might be a good time to remove the secondary butterflies if you like. Be careful not to drop the screws into the throttle bodies.

Then fit the RU-2780's. The last one will need to be canted as shown to fit under the claw cover.

Last edited:
Next remove the right side cover, lower side cover (which requires the removal of the rear passenger peg), the ECU and ECU mounting bracket. This has to be done as the lead to the O2 sensor runs behind the ECU mounting bracket.

Remove the O2 sensor and fit the O2 eliminator on the lead. The eliminator is the white plug with the black bottom.

Last edited:
Next fit the M18 oil drain plug into the O2 bung in the header.

Replace all of the covers making sure they are tightened to spec. If you never have refitting the bearclaw cover, it can be challenging. Take your time and get an extra set of hands. It is a tight fit with the triple K&Ns under it. But it will fit.

Make sure you have the appropriate tune loaded.

Is the O2 eliminator shown in the picture? Do not see a white plug w/black bottom. Great detailed post, I'm sure I'll do this mod one day.

header bung

Hay pig, whats happening? When i put my pc3 and triple filters, i had a custom exhuast built, that i installed. I did disconect o2 sensor, but my new header has threaded whole that i put the bung back in instead of plugging with a bolt like your pic shows.
Should i remove bung and plug it? Is that bung being installed like it is changing performance in any way?
Thanks in advance.......pete

The O2 sensor is heated and will get covered in carbon if not powered. So I removed it and plugged the bung just in case later it needs to be refitted it will be in good condition. Nothing to do with performance.

hi pig bomber here mate
im hoping to run 3 k&ns soon.what i want to know is my bike has tune for tors and cat by pass is that ok to run for the k&ns and also the lamda/02 sensor removal is that some thing you have to do if so i will do it but can see problems getting the dynojet part over here in the uk
best regards
bomber:)

Last edited:
Back