How much to spend on a helmet.

Lickety Split

.060 Over
Ride
2014 R3R
What kind of helmet is everyone wearing on the street. Looking around on the net, seems to be a wide variety of brands and price. Not wanting to spend a lot I thought maybe this/Gmax GM54 Helmets - Modular Street Motorcycle Helmets. What's the diff between this and all the other? any reason I should spend more?

I always believe a very simple saying "how much is your head worth" but more to the point it has to fit properly not loose or to tight so it does not distract you from the job at hand ie staying alive, it also has to give good vision out to the sides, some modular's don't so the important thing is to check by actually trying them on and checking, some helmets suit different shaped heads as well so don't think because you take a XL in one brand that you take an XL in another brand try try try till you find the one that suits, remember your choice may save your life one day

What kind of helmet is everyone wearing on the street. Looking around on the net, seems to be a wide variety of brands and price. Not wanting to spend a lot I thought maybe this/Gmax GM54 Helmets - Modular Street Motorcycle Helmets. What's the diff between this and all the other? any reason I should spend more?

@HansO is right on here!
Full face provides the best protection, but some (like me) feel they are claustrophobic.
Modular would be next best, open face and then the beanie type.
For my bad neck weight is the key, so I go with the open face.
Spend as much as you can, at least $200 for a top brand that fits your head well.
Not all top brands fit al head shapes, so try many on before deciding.

There's a number of articles that anser this but the short answer is any helmet that meets dot or snell helmets is fine from a saftey stand point. The money comes into comfort in spades. Better vents, sweat wicking materials, and contact points are worth a premium. And those materials usually last longer on premium helmets than their cheaper counterparts.

@HansO is right on here!
Full face provides the best protection, but some (like me) feel they are claustrophobic.
Modular would be next best, open face and then the beanie type.
For my bad neck weight is the key, so I go with the open face.
Spend as much as you can, at least $200 for a top brand that fits your head well.
Not all top brands fit al head shapes, so try many on before deciding.
Steve you might want to try the helmet I wear as I have in past always had to ride with shield open due to claustrophobic feeling once the screen was closed and this because they had inadequate venting the Shark Carbon R Pro (top model in line up) is super lightweight and very well vented to the point that keep my screen closed most of the time it is also the quiet's helmet I have ever worn that includes Shoie and Arai it has a lining which can be removed for cleaning and the materials are top notch they even have a channel to make putting your glasses on easily the only down side is it is not cheap but I would happily pay it again for such an outstanding helmet, I had actually gone into the shop to buy a Arai but saw the shark liked the look loved the weight when I picked it up then I tried it on .... I was in love it fitted perfectly

I am lucky, I guess. Being an old Flight Engineer, I happen to have a few striped engineer hats laying around. ;)

Actually, I get a very good fit from Bell helmets, so the cost is not too bad, usually 200 or so US dollars. I am thinking of trading in my full face for a modular next time around.

But after that review from HansO I think I will look at the Shark.

bob

Helmets are not the be all and end all of safety, however a good fitting and comfortable helmet should be just like your shoes. don't even look at the price tag until you go to the counter to pay. Chances are you'll be surprised(in a good way I hope).

I forgot to mention my other older helmet is a Shark Evoline 1 which is near the end of its life it to is good helmet but hell noisy, I believe the newer Evoline 3 is supposed to be quieter but I have been spoilt now with new one I doubt I would ever buy a modular one again, but if looking for a modular Shark Evoline's are my pick for having the best side vision out there and they come around to offer a bit more protection to the lower part of your face when open

Back