OhLordyMyKnees

Half Squid, One Quarter Adult, One Quarter Lost
Ride
08 VFR800, 02 CBR1100XX
Probably 75% of my motorcycling miles these days are a twice weekly, 170 mile round trip on the interstate. My Blackbird cruises along pretty comfortably (a little over halfway to redline) in the 110 mph range, while still getting around 35 mpg. I've considered dropping a tooth on the next rear sprocket to get slightly better mileage.

I've just about got my heart set on a Roadster. My question is, what is an easy cruising speed on a stock Rocket, vs Carpenterized (240)? I presume I'd be giving up both speed and mileage on a stock one, and just mileage on a Carpenter package. Does going Dark Side affect gas mileage?

My end goal is 240 Carpenter + fly screen + soft bags + Dark Side. Depending on how much speed (time) I give up on a stocker, I may have to wait until I can afford a Roadster and Carpenter at the same time. (Unless someone here is wanting to upgrade to a Rocket X....)

Hello Lordy, not sure about the Roadster, but the Touring cruises along at 85 indicated very nicely. I have done the DC to Columbia, TN trip twice on it, DC to Buffalo and a round trip to Sturgis all right at 85. It appears that is actually 80MPH since the speedo is slightly off.
Now, trying to compare the Blackbird to a Roadster is just not going to be an apples to apples situation except milage. I got an average of 36 MPG on these trips but that is much slower than 110mph.

If you're going to worry about "gas mileage" maybe the world's largest production motorcycle isn't for you.

If I was really worried about gas mileage, I'd have a CBR 250 or some such. It's an added expense that is good to know going in.

When I loaded up the standard R3 with wife & luggage for a weekend we got 40 mpg doing 80 mph. I did 1200 miles last year and cruised around 95 mph, 3800 rpm (at speed the tach is easier to read) and averaged a little over 30 mpg. The bike would get up to 110-120 in seconds on the occasions I needed to squeeze past semi's and such. Besides pipes, K&N under seat the motor is stock. I think you'll be way more comfortable in the rocket.

Riding 07 classic, only trip K&Ns, tors, and secondaries removed with appropriate tune to accompany. Cruising on autobahn around 80 mph (130k) I get around 36-37 mpg. Cruising at 110 (170k) I get about 32-34. Those are measured over several thousands of miles worth of trips. Wife gets too much wind pressure on her bike above 80 and is comfy there. By myself I do 110. Before the mods I was getting closer to 38-40 but that was in the states at 75-80 mph.
Have no idea on the carpenter. I'm sure one of those captains will come along and tell you soon.

I commute daily and get around 30 miles per gallon, on long trips after I leave Ca and start using real gas I get around 40 mpg

Back