HELP! Won't start...not fuse/relay/battery...

HoldenComplex

.020 Over
I have a 2005 rocket iii that won't start. I rode it all day no problems, parked it, went back out to ride to work the next morning and the starter button wouldn't do anything. no crank. When I turned the key the dials do their thing, headlight shines bright, ignition is engaged, kick stand up, bike in neutral, clutch pulled in...nothing. I replaced the starter relay, when that didn't fix it i put it on a trickle charger and the battery is fully charged.
Any other suggestions (Other than loading this beast into a truck and taking it do a dealer?) :) Weather's too nice- gotta get this thing fixed. Thanks.

I have a 2005 rocket iii that won't start. I rode it all day no problems, parked it, went back out to ride to work the next morning and the starter button wouldn't do anything. no crank. When I turned the key the dials do their thing, headlight shines bright, ignition is engaged, kick stand up, bike in neutral, clutch pulled in...nothing. I replaced the starter relay, when that didn't fix it i put it on a trickle charger and the battery is fully charged.
Any other suggestions (Other than loading this beast into a truck and taking it do a dealer?) :) Weather's too nice- gotta get this thing fixed. Thanks.

Have you checked the voltage at the relay from the starter button if there is no voltage you will have to trace back thru the harness and multi plug under the tank.

Presume the kill switch is on ?
Do you have a headlamp/ignition switch protection relay fitted if not could be the ignition switch melted..

From experience the multi plugs need cleaning and re greasing on the early models age causes corrosion or bad connections in the pins.. you need test lamp or multi meter to check the circuits it cant be much if it was previously running..

Mine was doing the same thing couple of weeks ago ... was the wiring connection on positive battery wire in behind the starter relay. Looked fine but squeezing the connector , heard the slightest 'click' and away she went ... Good luck.

I had the exact same problem, turned out to be the clutch switch not making contact.
try pushing the button and feathering the clutch out very slowly until you find a contact point, that is what i do, in fact i had to do it yesterday.
If that don't do it my next guess would be the ignition switch.,
Good Luck!!:)

a multimeter is your friend in this case.

if the kill swithc was off then the electrics wouldnt budge. i know this cause after this model was finished snail-trailing my bike i went to start it and oh **** its completely dead. no electrics or anything
then i noticed she hit the kill switch with her nipple or somehting :)

Back