HELP! Jardines don't quite fit

MarvinM

.060 Over
Ride
2012 Carpenter 240+ Rocket III
OK, Guys. Any thoughts on my new-to-me Jardines not quite fitting at the manifold? They're not far off, but further than I can bend stainless with my bare hands. It also appears that the studs are too long, or the acorn nuts too shallow to actually hold them on correctly.

I may have been incorrect in assuming there was little/no difference in the right side of the engine from 2005-2009. My bike is a 2008 Standard. Not sure exactly what the pipes came off of.

Any help or thoughts appreciated. I'm even open to insults. :)

MarvinM

For a start, put your bike type and year under your avatar. I know it's in your post but that won't help someone reading posts on subsequent pages - if people can be bothered responding.

Secondly, there's plenty been written about the poor workmanship of Jardines. As they appear (?) to have come off another bike they may have been bent in transit or maybe just fitted poorly on that one too. I recall someone ditching the acorn nuts in favour of open ones to solve a problem similar to yours. Give that a go and see if it can be persuaded to fit. Another great endorsement of this product!

Absolutely no difference in castings year to year.
Some of the earliest Jardine headers required two gaskets per exhaust and a bit of persuasion with a short 2x4 on cylinder 1 (front). Do not over-tighten the flanges - they are only aluminum.

I had jardines from the first run of fifty they made.
I used double gaskets and a washer under the dome nuts as they bottomed out,
also needed a little "encouragement" to get them on.

Workmanship sucks, look at the welds inside the flanges too, mine obstruct the flow, and one weld is bad, it leaks.

OK, Guys. Any thoughts on my new-to-me Jardines not quite fitting at the manifold? They're not far off, but further than I can bend stainless with my bare hands. It also appears that the studs are too long, or the acorn nuts too shallow to actually hold them on correctly.

I may have been incorrect in assuming there was little/no difference in the right side of the engine from 2005-2009. My bike is a 2008 Standard. Not sure exactly what the pipes came off of.

Any help or thoughts appreciated. I'm even open to insults. :)

MarvinM
My Jardines came already installed on my 2010 Roadster and I am generally happy with them...I couldnt tell you what they have done for the performance but they sound nice. The "Fit and Finish" leaves a little to be desired as the heat shields in 2 locations dont match up very well-in one case there is a full half inch gap. I am hoping this winter to try and correct that. -Doug

As Canberra said .. been a lot said about the poor quality/fitment of Jardines .. don't understand why Owners are still shelling out for them unless they are at a giveaway price. Hope you get them fitted up ok Marvin.

Got 'em installed. As all of my DIY mechanic skills are based on restoring 40+ year old little British sports cars, I'm very hesitant to "force" anything...since you can't run to the store and grab a part that's been OOP for 40 years. In this case, it just took a little leverage to get the manifold into rear cylinder opening. The Jardine instructions do not indicate to use sealant at the cylinder openings, and the fit is a bit odd at the 3-to-1. Will know in 24 hours how badly they leak.

I haven't installed the various decorative heat shields, but already like the way they look on the bike.

MarvinM

I've had Jardines for years. I never did get the header/exhaust junction to seal properly. I ended up welding that junction, maki.g the right side muffler and header one piece. It has worked this eay for years now.

Back