Help - bike not starting, neutral sensor maybe?

DavidR3R

.060 Over
Ride
Rocket 3 Roadster 2015
I'd really appreciate some help from you guys. For a while now the bike (2013 Roadster) would start to crank then pause, dead, before carrying on and starting as normal. Today though when returning from the shops, the bike did the usual sweep but with nothing happening when I pressed the starter button. I tried again and it did eventually start.

Later on at home, I tried again and nada... I checked and cleaned the starter button area and kill switch, all seemed ok but still nothing. Then I moved it out of neutral into second and back into neutral and it fired up no problems, totally normal.

So, question is, do you guys think it's the neutral sensor? If so, is it something I can easily look at and check to eliminate?

The bike is still just in warranty so I'm not keen to do too much myself if it should be a warranty claim.

Cheers,
Dave

Get the dealer to fix it as it is a warranty item. However, the gear position sensor is easy to locate, remove, and clean - but if it is faulty then you probably shouldn't mess with it before the dealer does.

Get the dealer to fix it as it is a warranty item. However, the gear position sensor is easy to locate, remove, and clean - but if it is faulty then you probably shouldn't mess with it before the dealer does.
Agree straight to the dealer

I'm probably not the guy with the answer here, but, I don't think its the neutral sensor since the bike doesn't need to be in neutral to start. I would suspect the ignition switch

Could also be the sensor that notes that the clutch is engaged. You can't crank the engine without the clutch in.

Here's info/a rant on TriumphRat on the topics; it's about the Bonneville but it's no doubt very similar on the R3.

Obviously not all the connectors etc mentioned are in the same locations. I'll bet the switch is the same though.

Back to the dealer.You don't want to mess around if the bike's still under warranty If they can't fix it then I'm sure the guys on the forum will.:)

You could have a duff starter relay on my classic it's behind rh side panel next to the flasher relay (starter is smaller of the 2) it is a 5 pin relay note that the ecu takes a signal from this to tell if the clutch is in or out. should be able to get one at an auto store or on amazon always handy to keep spares also 4 pin that run ecu, fan and fuel pump , having said that let your stealer take a look as you have warranty left.

I'm probably not the guy with the answer here, but, I don't think its the neutral sensor since the bike doesn't need to be in neutral to start. I would suspect the ignition switch

Yes, good point. I thought it might have been the clutch sensor but it started after I moved it in and out of gear.

Thanks for all the advice - call to the dealer tomorrow I guess :thumbsdown:

I have never seen a bike with so many starting problems as the Rocket. It is no wonder though, Triumph expects a motorcycle battery with significantly undersized battery cables to start a car engine in all weather conditions.

To eliminate the ignition switch, turn the ignition on and move the forks back and forth lock to lock, it the lights flicker it is the switch. If that is not the problem then I agree with the previous post that it is likely the clutch safety switch. Mine gave me problems from 20,000 miles on until I finally bypassed the **** thing by connecting the wires together. I also had problems with the starter relay and have had to replace it three times, so that is another potential problem, as also noted above in a previous post, but it is easily fixed. The napa part number for the relay is AR 170. I keep a spare as part of the toolkit.

The bike needs to at least think it's in neutral to start if the stand is down. If the neutral light is on while you're having this problem then it's unlikely to be the gear position sensor. If the light doesn't always come on in neutral ie it flickers, goes out or doesn't light up, it could be a simple matter of cleaning and adjusting the GPS, or at worst, having it replaced.

Back