HELP!!! Backfire, pop, cut out HELP NEEDED!

ponters

254 RWHP Lush Racing Engine
Ride
2010 Triumph Rocket Roadster
A bit of a long and convoluted one.

Before I go into it, I will mention names of people trying to help and not putting anyone down but will give all info to see if we can work it out....

Symptoms are, when i take off or in general riding...if i use very slightly open throttle or 5-20% open throttle the bike revs up then kinda hits a flat spot, power cuts, feels as though bike is choking and about to stall, backfires and then opens up. On decal you can't gradually roll off power and slow down or same thing happens Pops Cracks back fires and carries on doing same chocking almost stalling with power cutting in and out. If I give it a fist full bike revs up smoothly without carrying on until i ease off throttle.

Ok..Starting off...

2010 bought a new R3R from Peter Stevens Melbourne. Few accessories fitted but only thing from new was the TORS. I told asked to mod the bike and they basically refused. Said it was to unknown and wouldn't work on it to increase performance.

So after ringing around and researching sent it to Nev Lush in South Aus. Removed air box and put in triple filters, removed secondaries, tuned, de-ristricted all gears. All told a huge improvement and very happy with the bike. Only issue was at idle the bike would occasionally completely cut out. Basically everything completely died, after turning key to off and restart few seconds later I could get it to start and run again. Fuel gauge and everything reset as though battery was disconnected.

Anyhow, when I did my best at explaining prob to Lushie he thought it could be the Throttle position sensor and bike idling too low hence cutting out. Of course if I had sent it to him it would have been fixed and fine but to save sending interstate for a minor repair I took it to Charlie at turn 1, who many suggest is very good including 3 mates of mine that say he is great.

Told charlie problem and asked him to upgrade brake pads, improve headlights, and service bike as well as fix TPS issue. also asked him to change the UNIfilter foam cones to K&N Pods. Charlie connected his diagnostic computer to the bike and instantly said what most mechanics do, the previous guys hadn't set it up ladidadida..apparently he thought the firing was way out of balance etc etc but he'd make it perfect.

1 week later and $1400 later I picked the bike up, road off and within 200meters the bike was backfiring, choking, coughing spluttering and threatening to stall then backfiring and pulling away!!!!! took it straight back to be informed he ways very surprised as when he tested bike it was running perfect and with what he did it was perfect and didn't need tps. Was very embarrassed and apologetic and said he'd stay up all night if he could get the TPS in as I was meant to be going on a 4 day ride the next morning with 20 other bikes. Short story is, no luck Triumph out of parts and had to leave the bike their for 3 weeks until part arrived ex UK. He finally rang and said he fitted the new TPS and bike was running like a dream. picked the bike up 30 mins before he closed for Christmas. He refused to take payment even for the part as he was so apologetic for the mis hap. I gave him a tip as i didn't want him to be out of pocket.

A mate road bike home for me as i was coming from work. When we got home mate said it was backfiring and caring on. I rode bike and was exactly as it was the first time I picked it up 3 weeks earlier. As he was closed for 4 weeks and I had other organised rides I spoke to Peter Stevens and asked if they could fix it.

They thought bike was way to lean and needed a dyne tune. Got bike back $340 later and bike was 50% better but still bad. Took it straight back. After retesting etc they felt the TPS needed to be reset (????) or adjusted and it would be fine. Next day I picked up bike and it is now 80% better but still not right. They have very courteously offered to have another go form.

I'd really like to nail the problem and try and get the power back that Lush got into the tune as the tune Peter Stevens has done has definitely taken away some of the acceleration.

Other than selling the Fffing TRIUMPH and buying a bike that people in MELBOURNE know how to work on and improve, fix or sought out can anybody PLEASE suggest what the problem might be.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Im sure one of the more mechanically minded members will chime in soon but in the meantime have u checked all the basic things like the plugs and leads im guessing if one is loose or cracked that could cause her to run rough like that.
sometimes the simple stuff gets overlooked trying to find a bigger problem .

sorry i cant be of much more assistance than that good luck mate :cool:

Im sure one of the more mechanically minded members will chime in soon but in the meantime have u checked all the basic things like the plugs and leads im guessing if one is loose or cracked that could cause her to run rough like that.
sometimes the simple stuff gets overlooked trying to find a bigger problem .

sorry i cant be of much more assistance than that good luck mate :cool:

cheers mitch. hey what did you do to your to get 150 hp?

cheers mitch. hey what did you do to your to get 150 hp?

triple k&N filters custom headers built by sam "lazarus"on this site "travel guy " on the .com site set of staintune pipes and crossover tune ecu base tune with secondaries open 100% also removed the butterflys rev limit moved to 6800 and a power comander v with custom map dynoed at powerhouse dynotuning on the goldcoast.
I also run a GIpro with atre which isnt really relavent but it was a mod i did.
and yeah that got me the 150 hp its a nice smooth delivery also pulls nice from stop to flat out :cool:

Suggestion because haven't seen or tried the bike..

As you probably know the stock R3 is factory tuned with a retarded ignition in 1st thru 3rd gear.

To change this config you either use a Gpi Pro ATRE, or the ECU is reprogramed to eliminate the factory setting.

I am thinking that if the Ign timing is in the Factory setting with a modified AFR thru eCU map mods .. the Retard timing will cause the AFR to be rich and foul the plugs causing a misfire or rough running ..

Hard to diagnose when every man and his dog have had a dabble..sorry maybe more ideas to follow hopefuuly..

Good Luck

You're dealer sounds like my local dealer. If it doesn't throw a code, they don't know what the f they're doing. It's most likely a vaccum leak somewhere. Yours is pretty new though. Shoot.. shouldn't your bike be under warranty???? It's a 2010 model?

.. shouldn't your bike bein under warranty???? It's a 2010 model?

My thoughts too. I presume the initial problem of everything resetting when it cut out is fixed? Get them to check out the simple things - plugs, leads, vacuum. Feel your pain, mate. Don't give up on it though; it will be worth it in the end.

Back