Hello from central Texas.

1goindiesel

.020 Over
Great forum you have here. Have been gleaning some good info. I am considering adding a RIII to my garage. I currently have a 11 HD Road King with a 106 build and a 09 Cross Bones Springer that I have been making my own since new.
I did have a 12 Concours in there as well but sold it. Have probably had ??40-50?? motorcycles in my life.
Have ridden all 48 and some of Canada on HOG tours plus the getting there and coming back legs. Shortest was appx 5000+ miles and longest was over 9000 miles. So now you kinda know motorcycle me. Also am a patched member of a MC. (not a 1% group though, just a like minded group of riders).

I am considering a Rocket III, have found a few examples that are under 8000 miles that interest me. What should my main concerns be between an 08 and a 2013 model? About 3000.00 diff in price. Have read on hear a few comments like "issues addressed after 2010" so was wondering if I should stay away from pre 10 models. Not going with touring model as I prefer to just add windshield and racks, soft bags as needed. Thanks very much for any wisdom offered..

P.

Welcome from sunny Southern California!

The Roadster had a significant update in 2010. Besides providing updates for several parts that were failing and blacking out much of the trim, Triumph also made the following changes:
  • Added ABS
  • Beefed up the clutch, shaft drive, and gear selection
  • Softened the rear shocks 20% (still terrible in stock form IMO)
  • Added clock, fuel gauge, and gear position sensor
  • Changed exhaust configuration to 1 muffler on each side
  • Foot controls moved back 100mm, down 20mm (moving from a cruiser- to a roadster-style stance)
  • Tuned (ECU and exhaust) for 11% increase in HP and 15% increase in torque

I believe al is correct if he is addressing only Roadsters. If you are age challenged like a lot of us here, you might want to investigate a Classic or Touring model as the foot positioning is more relaxed.

Where in central TX? I am in Denton.

Last edited:
If you're on the fence and need a little help over the edge to a 2010+ Roadster, this is the video that did it for me.

That's a great video I show it to any of my mates who doubt the power of a Rocket ,with a few minor changes to exhaust/intake and mapping the Touring can do all this in comfort as well, just a personal choice of style

Great forum you have here. Have been gleaning some good info. I am considering adding a RIII to my garage. I currently have a 11 HD Road King with a 106 build and a 09 Cross Bones Springer that I have been making my own since new.
I did have a 12 Concours in there as well but sold it. Have probably had ??40-50?? motorcycles in my life.
Have ridden all 48 and some of Canada on HOG tours plus the getting there and coming back legs. Shortest was appx 5000+ miles and longest was over 9000 miles. So now you kinda know motorcycle me. Also am a patched member of a MC. (not a 1% group though, just a like minded group of riders).

I am considering a Rocket III, have found a few examples that are under 8000 miles that interest me. What should my main concerns be between an 08 and a 2013 model? About 3000.00 diff in price. Have read on hear a few comments like "issues addressed after 2010" so was wondering if I should stay away from pre 10 models. Not going with touring model as I prefer to just add windshield and racks, soft bags as needed. Thanks very much for any wisdom offered..

P.

Welcome from one of the Aussies, sounds like you are into long distant rides we have plenty of space over /down here for that Enjoy!

Back