Heavily Discounted Progressive 440s

Claviger

Aspiring Student
Ride
'21 Z H2, '14 R3R, '02 Daytona 955i
Run a quick search on amazon.com for "progressive 440". Start laughing at the prices (sub 300 on some), order, enjoy your 400+ off msrp

I got myself a set of 13" standard duty chromes for a laughable $240.32!

:);)

Great price. I wouldn't sell mine. Got them on the Rocket and the Storm. Tail bone agrees.

Pretty sure stock length is 12.5. There were some shorter and some up to 13.5 on discount. Sadly the 13.5 blacks weren't very discounted or I'd have gotten those.

I have the 11.5 chrome progressive 440s on my '06 Classic. They dropped it just enough in the back so that my feet touch flat-footed, it handles way better, plus the ride is a lot less of a spinebuster when hitting potholes or crossing railroad tracks. I got them new for around $250.00 US on eBay.

Got them installed today and did a short test ride, weird swerving for bumps instead of away from them.

10 minute install using a scissor jack to take the weight positioned on the engine bar right under the rear brake reservoir. Removed both because the 13 inched would not go on one at a time. This is also a method to get the front tire off the ground, basically uses the jack and kick stand to make a center stand.

Spring rate is not too different from the R3R stock rate. Sag was correct with 1 full turn of preload for all 190lb of me. Seat height is about the same as stock, I suspect the extra 1/2 inch of length is compensated for because I can actually get correct sag now.

Damping is massively improved mid turn when hitting a bump, tracks true and sucks up the bump. The front really does feel like pure garbage now :/

Part number 440-4238C, I haven't been able to find what bike they originally intended for, it is either R 3 or generic large metric cruiser. Either way the eyelets have the correct bushing already installed.

Shocks are on my list and for that price it's very tempting. Not sure if I should get the standard or heavy duty though, does anybody know what's the maximum load rating is for a rocket?

Pretty sure it's a little shy of 500lb.

For future reference, those 440-4238, as well as 4236 and 4237 are all marked as parts for the Kawasaki 1600 Mean Streak and Suzuki 1500 cruiser. They are 60lb lighter dry weight than the Roadster, so pretty **** close, shock hasn't bottomed yet.

I rode down THE worst road in Oahu, the H2 freeway that has by far the worst expansion joints I have ever seen in my life, which used to beat my back so hard I refused to ride on the road. No exaggeration, I barely felt them at all after getting the 440s on :) Bike doesn't wallow when riding hard into fast sweepers, so over all I'd say 440s are pretty **** win for 250 bucks.

You're correct manual says 480, i contacted the guy selling the shocks to see if they had 13" heavy duty he replied that the only ones he has left are standart and mentioned progressive has discontinued the 440's hence the good price I'm assuming. With passenger and luggage I'll be pushing 450, I might get the 444 hd sometime in near future when funds are available.

Got them installed today and did a short test ride, weird swerving for bumps instead of away from them.

10 minute install using a scissor jack to take the weight positioned on the engine bar right under the rear brake reservoir. Removed both because the 13 inched would not go on one at a time. This is also a method to get the front tire off the ground, basically uses the jack and kick stand to make a center stand.

Spring rate is not too different from the R3R stock rate. Sag was correct with 1 full turn of preload for all 190lb of me. Seat height is about the same as stock, I suspect the extra 1/2 inch of length is compensated for because I can actually get correct sag now.

Damping is massively improved mid turn when hitting a bump, tracks true and sucks up the bump. The front really does feel like pure garbage now :/

Part number 440-4238C, I haven't been able to find what bike they originally intended for, it is either R 3 or generic large metric cruiser. Either way the eyelets have the correct bushing already installed.
Thanks for the info and write up, might be next on the list, a nice to have laying around at that price...

Back