Headlight Cut UNTIL start

Yes, since the Easter Beaver Relay Kit is an absolute MUST anyway ... you might as well order it with the low beam cut off and be done with it.

Even those with single headlight Touring models benefit from the increased illumination and brighter white headlights though their ignition switches might not have the terrible load on them duals do.
Hellfire....have we confirmed that the R3T does indeed benefit from the EB headlight relay kit? Not saying oyu dont but I havent seen anything on it.......I dont know if anybody here has actually put that kit on the R3T....if you know of.....please post...Im interested because I have one (lol) but havent seen the issue or need....just curious I suppose :D

mutt

Hellfire....have we confirmed that the R3T does indeed benefit from the EB headlight relay kit? ...

So, off the primary topic - however, to (sorta!) answer your question - it may be less benefit than on some bikes. I know most of the 05+ Triumph schemes are definitely better than my Daytona series for example.
The acid test to determine potential gain, is to simply start bike, measure the voltage across the battery then measure the volts across the headlight connector socket itself (note that the light must be plugged in & on!) The difference is the loss through the wiring. You can break it down further to see if the loss is the positive or negative side predominantly, or split fairly equally. For that, you would measure from the battery negative to the common in light socket to get the loss in the return and from battery plus to the lamp positive for the loss in the power side.
You might find even without additional relays on the power side, if you have significant loss in the negative return, simply running a new 12 or 14 ga wire from the battery negative to the lamp socket common terminal will have a profound effect.
But if the OEM system is fairly efficient and the loss is not that great, then additional relays might buy you very little
(they can't create power - only make up for losses)

Wasn't trying to down play your mod, it's fine. I don't use my lo-beam cut-off unless I'm hooking my Tuneboy up. When I'm done fiddling I start the engine and turn the lights back on. I'm not worried the headlights will drain the battery when I switch my ignition on. The cross-over relay has to de-energize the lights to engage the starter and for the few seconds the lights are on I don't think there's much voltage drop. I was just noting the EB kit has the option, nothing wrong with your modification at all.:)

My question is does the headlights stay off till the bike is running or only when you push the starter. I would like the headlights OFF till the bike its running.

My question is does the headlights stay off till the bike is running or only when you push the starter. I would like the headlights OFF till the bike its running.

Good question. My winter/cold weather start routine is to bump the starter for 2 seconds and release. Repeat. On 3rd try hold until it fires.

If I read this right, the headlights would come on with the first bump on the starter.

The only way to ensure the lights stay off till YOU want them on is use a toggle in the circuit (the Eastern Beaver kit provides one). You can also do it with this mod by splicing in an additional switch. It all depends on how complicated you want to get and how long you want the lights off.

Hellfire....have we confirmed that the R3T does indeed benefit from the EB headlight relay kit? Not saying oyu dont but I havent seen anything on it.......I dont know if anybody here has actually put that kit on the R3T....if you know of.....please post...Im interested because I have one (lol) but havent seen the issue or need....just curious I suppose :D

mutt

I installed the EB kit on my 08R3T since I had one on shelf and did not notice any difference in light out put. I went to an E code unit to get good lighting.

I installed the EB kit on my 08R3T since I had one on shelf and did not notice any difference in light out put. I went to an E code unit to get good lighting.
Thanks gransom.....its what I thought.. I went with the driving lights and switched everything over to PIAA lights and now I have great lighting at night.......I think this is a great mod an adding a toggle switch is even better!

mutt

The lights stay off until after the start button is released - not when first pressed. i.e. normally this would be after it starts. Note however, they will come on after button is pressed then released regardless of whether the bike actually started or not (i.e. if bike did not fire up with an initial starter operation) - however they will go off again during the restart attempt until button is released once more (this is the current OEM mode) Note also that if you wanted to turn on lights for any reason without starting, you can simply press & release the start button without pulling clutch lever. Hope that helps explain the sequence.

So tdragger, in the situation you describe, they would indeed come on initially after the first press/release but again go out during each subsequent 'fake' or 'real' start.
I'm not really sure I understand the benefit of the start sequence you use, but that's for discussion elsewhere! :p

Back