Happy R3 owner in South Texas

Welcome from Washington! I too am new to this forum as I got my first Rocket about a month ago. Love it more every day.

Today I purchased an '05 R3....I rode it 218 miles home, I absolutely love this machine. I have wanted one since I first read about them when Triumph first introduced them! VERY HAPPY OWNER!

You are obviously a very patient man (assume you are a man) .. waiting all this time (since 2004) Enjoy the bike mate and welcome to the Forum.

Congratulations and welcome.

With a 2005 model, there are a few things that you need to do right away or check to see if they have already been done.

First and foremost is the headlight relay mod. This resolves problems with the ignition switch. In Triumph's design, they choose to run all of the headlight and starter circuit amperage through a relatively small wire in the ignition switch. Pre-2010 models all are in danger of melting the solder that holds this wire in the switch. Fitting the headlight relay mod will greatly reduce the chance that your ignition switch will fail. Go to this thread and scroll to post #14 for instructions on how to fit this mod and/or check to see if the previous owner has already done it. Another major benefit of fitting this mod is that your headlights will be positively dazzling and bright. http://www.r3owners.net/threads/standard-headlight-bulbs.9603/page-2#post-101499

A second mod similar to the first is to fit a secondary starter relay. This will complete the protection of the ignition switch. I'll have to locate the link to that mod.

Depending on the mileage of your new beast, you may need to pay attention to the primary throttle position sensor (TPS). Pre-2008 models often develop a "high idle" condition around 12-20 thousand miles. The TPS is basically a rheostat and the early ones would develop a flat spot around the position used during cruising (2200-2800 rpm). Triumph did a redesign and new ones were fitted as the early ones wore out.

Not trying to cool your excitement, dude, but hopefully this will help keep that excitement level high for years to come.

Back