H4 Dual Headlight Relay Kit

Gothlander

321 GONE
Ignition switch fix (H4 Dual Headlight Relay Kit)

This looks like a good solution for the ignition switch and headlight problem. It's cheaper than making one your self. There are a few options as well like on/off switch. This system does not need plugs fitted it piggybacks off the headlight plug. looks like a good setup.

Link Removed

Last edited:
I got the PC-8 fuse block but haven't mounted it yet. This guy puts this stuff together with care and quality parts. The stuff comes from overseas so be patient. It'll get here.

Bobby, make sure you post some pics of your install. btw, which specific kit did you order?

I just recently put in the H4 lamps. I did not know that there was an ignition switch failure issue by adding these. What wattage or is it any wattage? I just did a long ride with lights on High Beam for added visibility but I had no idea the switch might fail. :confused:

So I assume that you are using the dual headlight model and that is a rhetorical question.:confused:

H4 is the type of bulb configuration, the plug is a three pronged blade connection. The R3 comes with H4 bulbs. The rocket does not have relays to boost the amp's to the lights and all the power that goes to the lights goes through the ignition switch. The ignition switch contact is not big enough to carry that load and may fail by melting the soldered connection on the back of the switch. The relay kit will boost the amps to the lights and reduce load to the switch. The single headlight models may not suffer from this but probably would benefit from a relay kit by way of brighter headlights.

great post

Thanks so much for this post. I've been in trouble more than once because of my less than adequate head lighting. Also, I have been trying to figure out a way to have the ability to switch off my headlights as I frequently strand myself by running down the battery. Thanks again. Good info.

I spoke with a friend this morning about this issue and I was already aware of the weak solder joints on the pins, but he has the same PIAA H4's that I bought that run at lower wattage than the rating of the lamp (they say) and he has not had an issue. I hate to worry about nuttin' but I don't like being stranded either but I can hot wire the igition if I had to.

Good post though. The stock lamps are like having two birthday cake candles to drive by once you get the PIAA lamps.

I ordered the standard dual headlght kit, no extra switch provisions. At first the pic looks complicated, but the longer you stare at it you come to realize how simple his kit is. The hardest thing to do should be raising the tank past the Rivco risers. I'm thinking this will help with my Rockets "yellow light syndrome" and make the ignition switch last longer. Got an email Sunday that it had been shipped.

Back