Votes: 8 2.2%
  • Alignment or balance issues

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • Other Mechanical problem

Votes: 25 6.8%
  • No Problems... bike runs fine

Votes: 169 45.8%

• Total voters
Could someone please help me sort through a thousand posts? I bought an 06 R3 standard with 1500 miles. I knew about the remap recall and I asked the original owner if it had been addressed. He said he never had a problem and thus never had it taken care of. At freeway speed, I have killed the engine twice by going from freeway speed to idle while pulling in the clutch. I now blip the throttle when downshifting like I did when I raced, but that is not how it should be. Again, the bike has only 1700 miles on it and it is an 06. I took it to a dealer today (long way from my house) and he said it has the latest tune and throttle body is good as well as all voltages. Said he believes me but there are no abnormal scans or codes (Houston, Texas). It takes the fun of it wondering if it will do this again on any downshift. Can anyone tell me if after 3 years there is a successful outcome? Thanks

Welcome to the site. You might call the dealerships in Austin or Waco and ask if they have delt with this problem. Ask for Jay in Waco. My 06 never did that, before or after the recall. What part of Texas?

Thanks. Glad to be here. Im over in Conroe. I rode it down to the dealer in South Houston and they plugged in the gameboy and it had the latest map. He said everything else appeared to be OK. In a couple of hundred of miles of riding it, I had it happen twice. At cruise speed then slowing to make a stop, I would pull the clutch in and the RPMs would drop straight to zero, no hesitation and the engine is killed. Most of the time it doesnt do that. Now I blip the throttle as I down shift, but it really shouldnt be that way. The Triumph mechanic said all numbers and voltages were dead on. I did the 12 minute tune and it idles perfectly, as it did before. There is just always that thing in the back of my mind that I may have to start it up on the fly. I also have tried to make it do it many times and it wont.

Interesting observation. It may actually be right on. Gus at Baxter's wanted to know if I ran any special fuel additives because upon dissassembly of my motor, he found the valves to "be cleaner than any he has seen while doing an upgrade". My MO has been to run low octane and ride like it I stole it.

Hadnt thought of that and I will give it a shot. My last question is regarding a seat pad on a short sissy bar.... The pad I received is of a grayish color vs the black of my touring seat. Both Triumph parts. Anyone know if there is a pad that matches? Thanks in advance.

Thanks. Glad to be here. Im over in Conroe. I rode it down to the dealer in South Houston and they plugged in the gameboy and it had the latest map. He said everything else appeared to be OK. In a couple of hundred of miles of riding it, I had it happen twice. At cruise speed then slowing to make a stop, I would pull the clutch in and the RPMs would drop straight to zero, no hesitation and the engine is killed. Most of the time it doesnt do that. Now I blip the throttle as I down shift, but it really shouldnt be that way. The Triumph mechanic said all numbers and voltages were dead on. I did the 12 minute tune and it idles perfectly, as it did before. There is just always that thing in the back of my mind that I may have to start it up on the fly. I also have tried to make it do it many times and it wont.
OK, I'm going to bite...It's a Tuneboy not a gameboy. One is motorcycle associated and the other is tactical planning game algorthms.

A throttle body balance and a TPS check/correction may resolve the issue. That is my experience; Buffy.

Im sorry to say that my local dealer has too many make of bikes to have fully competent tech staff for each and every one...Im sorry to report that after a visit for just such adjustments, mine too died at inconvenient times, until I took it back for another adjustment and a half day's pay.

Perhaps Triumph should adopt the HD dealership model. I don't know.

Last edited:
2008 classic.

had the clutch lifint lever go out about the 3000 miles marker. that made for a fun ride into work in morning rush hour traffic in houston. lol.

other than that and the oh so familiar problem of gas light coming on to soon. (though for me it is more because of the right wrist than any adjustments)

I did have the rear tire replaced with less than 5000 miles on it. think I need to slow down on the take offs and what not. ;)

just got my 08 r3 classic back a couple of weeks ago with 2800 mile blown head gasket and radiator seam split open needed a new one other than that run great !!

Back