databoomer

Standard Bore
Ride
R1150RS, R1150GS
Have been a gentleman motorcyclist (had eight BMW boxer's) over 35 years and have finally decided on a rocket to sit back and put grin back on my dial and feel the 140 HP, I have test ridden one a few years ago and now I need one as I am trying to entice the missus on the back and think the extra power will help ease the pain of carrying a pillion after all these years. I am looking for a second hand one between ten and twelve thousand$.
Any advice on what faults to look for would help, have been reading a fair few threads (this is a very informative site),many thanks and ride safe all.

Hi and Welcome. Main thing I can think of is if it is one of the earlier models, make sure it has had the update kit installed to resolve the second gear issue otherwise you could be up for an additional few thousand dollars if the problem were to arise.

Hi and Welcome. Main thing I can think of is if it is one of the earlier models, make sure it has had the update kit installed to resolve the second gear issue otherwise you could be up for an additional few thousand dollars if the problem were to arise.

thanks Scorp, when you say earlier models would that be pre 2005?

Welcome mate, from another Aussie.
Production started for the Rockets in 2004, Best try to buy one 2008 onwards but might be a stretch with your budget.

G'day and Welcome Boomer .. me I'd save a few more dollars and buy as later model as funds allowed. Bit of a different riding position between the Roadsters and earlier models. I'd imagine better buys be made over on the East Coast where Rockets are more plentiful. $10-$12K ain't going to buy you much more than a high mileage early model .. unless you are 'Johnny on the Spot' and lucky.

I have a 2006 model and had the second gear issue happen at about 37000kms. You have to get the motor removed and it's about 24 hours labour to do the job, do the maths $$$$ Unless you decide to do other work while the motor is apart. (Good excuse to tell the Missus)

will take the advice and go for a 2008 and pay a little more, will need to jump on kerosene canary and pick one up on the east coast.

$10 to $12 K here in the States can just about buy a leftover new bike. I got my new 06 in 07 for $11,000. My friend Mike got his new 13 in 14 for $12,500.

Back