Front tyre choices

captain jack

Turbocharged
I know a lot of you have found good results using the Avon Cobra front tyre in conjunction with the Excedra Max rear, however has anyone got results for the use of the Excedra front tyre as well? I'm looking to change both tyres in the next month or two & any advice is welcome.:thumbsup:

My 240 Exedra Max is paired with a 130 ExMax up front and the combo is brilliant!

Note: The 130 will defeat your ABS, if so equipped, and one rider has reported that the lowered ground clearance with this tire caused the peg on his Roadster to dig in to the pavement on a turn causing him to dump his bike and badly injure his foot. Both caveats are a non-issue for Stds and Classics. My ride feels 200+ lbs lighter and has dramatically improved handling overall including surprising flickability, lightning fast turn-in and laser-like tracking. I expect excellent mileage from the tire, as well.

Last edited:
I tried the Exedra front. One time and never again. Firstly it's a really ugly tyre (not that it matters; just sayin'). Grip is good, especially in the wet. It seemed to really throw water out to the side and was sure footed. Biggest problem was wear. If you look at a new one, the tread is at its shallowest exactly where it will wear the most on the front - either side of centre. I reckon mine was down to illegal level after about 2000 km even though it was looking new everywhere else. I'm on my 8th or 9th Cobra.

By the way, I have no interest in dropping a size in the front but if they ever bring out a Max in OEM front size, I'd tried it in heart beat. It's the plane old Exedra that sux.

Not sure I understand the question.
I must be stupid (no comments please)but can you explain the slow and cautious part ?never mind he is asking about the front tire and I see now you don't ride much on the front

I must be stupid (no comments please)but can you explain the slow and cautious part ?never mind he is asking about the front tire and I see now you don't ride much on the front
LMAO! Good observation there.
Honestly I ride hard most of the time. Anyone who was with us at RAA IX and saw me riding even 2up will agree. It seems to be a better combo than the stock Metz, but can't compare it to the Max on front since I've never tried one.

Back