Filter options for the Bearclaw modification needed by Newbie!

sstcycles19

Standard Bore
I am a Rocket Newbie and can't wait to cut the bearclaw and install exposed filters. I was wondering if there are other choices other than K&N. I really like the look of these.
ModdedR3.jpg
[/IMG]
My other question is, do I wait to do this until I get a new exhaust system? Or does that have nothing to do with this mod? I know I will have to get it tuned with new exhaust, but not sure about the filters. Forgive my stupidity, but this is my first Fuel injected moto.
Your opinions on this are greatly appreciated!

Triple filters will require retuning just like exhaust. Anything that allows more air to enter and exit the engine will lean the fuel/air and takes additional fuel to enrichen the mix.

Those tall filters breath nice but keep in mind of where your leg goes .... will they be in the way for you?

Very good point..... But **** they look good. So are there any other choices out there instead of the K&N or are they the only way to go?

That's one reason I like the K&N RU-2780's, the tapered tops stay away from my knee.

FYI, the RU-2780's fit under the stock bearclaw too, by turning the 3rd one a little they can be installed and the claw trimmed later on so you don't have to do it all at once.

Furthermore, the 2780's flow more CFM's per injector, than the engine is capable of ingesting in stock (factory cams and porting) configuration. The taller filters are K&N's as well but with the taller filters you gain nothing in intake efficiency. You gain in testosterone appeal, but that's it.....

and like Hellfire so aptly stated, you loose leg room.

It looks cool, but it does nothing.

You'll need to modify the a/f ratio with the triple filters. The only non-modify mod filter wise is the replacement K&N under seat filter and/or the under tank filter that frees up the air box for storage. With the under tank, you'll need a Crankcase breather filter because the air box becomes non-functioning, just storage.

One thing to keep in mind is that with individual filters on each injector body throat, the intake howl is appreciable.

You need a Tuneboy for the mods you're about to make. That or spend some quality time on a dynomometer getting it sorted. Just a 'heads-up.';)

I am a Rocket Newbie and can't wait to cut the bearclaw and install exposed filters. I was wondering if there are other choices other than K&N. I really like the look of these.
ModdedR3.jpg
[/IMG]
My other question is, do I wait to do this until I get a new exhaust system? Or does that have nothing to do with this mod? I know I will have to get it tuned with new exhaust, but not sure about the filters. Forgive my stupidity, but this is my first Fuel injected moto.
Your opinions on this are greatly appreciated!

I recently installed the RamAir Foam filter and removed the airbox and ducting under the tank, looks great and sounds good to, plenty of induction roar when you open the throttle . I am going to cut down the bear claw a little to improve air flow around the intakes and also for looks to expose the foam filter. In preparation for this I also painted the Radiator header tank black , as its a pale grey plastic stock, and would stand out like a dogs bollocks if left grey with the bear claw cut down some.
20141206_183834.jpg

Lets not forget that with a little trimming, and relocation of the fluid reservoir
Pipercross2.jpg
20131012_180803.jpg
that the pipercross filter fits nicely.

Back