Fast Idle and low idle bike can't make up it's mind

hvacnr

Supercharged
Ride
95 750 Magna, Rocket 3 2005, VTX 1800 2002
My bike started idling low and dying. For about 8 miles it ran fine I gassed up and that when the bike stopped idling. I thought I had gotten bad gas but it ran fine down the road. I decided to ride the gas out on the express way. 150 miles later i stoped for more fuel the bike still would not idle. I gassed up and did the 12 minute tune. it idled better but not good. I carried on in stop and go traffic and fought stalling out. The ambient temperature was around 95 deg F. I headed up the N Georgia mountians and the bike began idling high around 1500 to 2000 rpm. the ambient temperature had dropped to around 85 deg F. I then did another 12 tune and the bike started idling normally. My questions (about time eh) can the air temp affect the operation this way or do I have an air temp sensor issue?

Probably the Primary TPS. Check its settings with TuneECU. If it is out, then set it back to spec. If it goes out again in the near future then you probably need to replace it with a new one.

i sprayed my linkage and stepper motor with wd40 and it took care of my high idle problem.

I'll have to use the old volt/ohm meter to check it out. I have no lap top. But I can handle it. While I have you here, how do I remove the secondary's? I will have to remove them physically as I no longer have a laptop computer. Don't ask what happened to mine.:banghead:

I'll have to use the old volt/ohm meter to check it out. I have no lap top. But I can handle it. While I have you here, how do I remove the secondary's? I will have to remove them physically as I no longer have a laptop computer. Don't ask what happened to mine.:banghead:
Easy if you have triple filters or RamAir - horrible if you have the OEM air ducting.

Remove filters from throttle bodies.
Use some ductape to tape the secondaries closed.
Remove the two little screws holding each of the secondary butterflies in place - being very careful not to drop them in the throttle bodies. If you do drop them, then it will suddenly become a MUCH more difficult job.
Remove the secondaries and ductape.
Put the filters back on.

Right off the bat this mod is right up my alley. any repair/ mod that uses duct tape is the the one I understand.:) Thanks, this does sound simple. I understand it is removing the butterflies,while I'm at it I'll install a new filter system, probably the Ramair.:thumbsup:

Sooooo........... What happened to your laptop?

Back