Engine up date mods

rumbler05

.040 Over
I have a 2005 Rocket .This is a replacement for my first 2005 rockert that had 4months of ownership and about 3000 mile on it. . The original bike had a roaring sound when the clutch was engauged.Eventually triumph just gave me areplacement after my lawyer filled some papers in their direction. I thought or hoped at that time that at the dealer they mayed have did a few to many burnouts or wheelies with the first rocket. I suspecte this may hae happened because talk from a pevious sales personal. So much for backround imformation..
Current rocket has 15000 miles on it and has only one problem wit the fuel tank readings.Just got back from up state New Youk ride of 800 plus miles. The bike ran great! I did have to wait up for my brother in laws Harley to catch up at times.
With all I have seen posted what would be the cost of tearing into my R-3 and doing the Mods to make sure it remains mechanicly functional Parts? and labor?I have no room or place to do this at my home.Should I bail out on this bike and just bite the bullet for 2012 bike?

15K miles is nothing for a rocket.
If it ain't broke, why are you trying to fix it?
Seriously, you dont need to do anything but scheduled maintenance.
Ride it more and build up the mileage!

My 2004 has 71k miles on it with no mechanical issues. If it's running great, ride it.

I had the float in my tank set right for a while, but after a dealer visit in which they replaced the fuel filter, the float appears to be stuck down again. I have always used the trip meter as my gas gauge anyway, so I haven't bothered to mess with it.

I was trying to prepare myself . For the what ifs ! A 2005 bike seems to be worth about 5 to 7 thousand . Would it be worth putting thousands of dollars to up grade the bike ? or just trade her in for a newer model? How much would I have to spend to split the case,do the bearing mods,install anew clutch assembly,replace the timing chain

Sounds like you're worried about the cost of work that you bike won't need, at your rate of riding, for about 25 years. :confused:
If you feel you want a new one get it, but it sounds like yours has a lot of life left in it.

I have a 2005 Rocket .This is a replacement for my first 2005 rockert that had 4months of ownership and about 3000 mile on it. . The original bike had a roaring sound when the clutch was engauged.Eventually triumph just gave me areplacement after my lawyer filled some papers in their direction. I thought or hoped at that time that at the dealer they mayed have did a few to many burnouts or wheelies with the first rocket. I suspecte this may hae happened because talk from a pevious sales personal. So much for backround imformation..
Current rocket has 15000 miles on it and has only one problem wit the fuel tank readings.Just got back from up state New Youk ride of 800 plus miles. The bike ran great! I did have to wait up for my brother in laws Harley to catch up at times.
With all I have seen posted what would be the cost of tearing into my R-3 and doing the Mods to make sure it remains mechanicly functional Parts? and labor?I have no room or place to do this at my home.Should I bail out on this bike and just bite the bullet for 2012 bike?

Totally agree with you dump the bike I wish I had done it with my 2005 seven years ago, the bike has been great 60000 trouble free miles had to replace the ign switch that Triumph gave to me free of charge runs as good as the day it left the show room.:D

Only problem with dumping an '05 seven years ago is that you could only have replaced it with an....'05. ;)
There's some logic in doing it now I guess because the Roadster is a little different at least. I think some people might even suggest they're better but clearly they never owned an '09.

If your going to split it and dump a ton of cash at a dealer.. Send it to Carpenter and get it modded.......Ride the piss out of it and be happy! IMO if its only worth 5-7k. Rest assured.. You will most likley get the bottom dollar from the dealer. It aint worth crap..sooo...run her till she dies!

engine mods

I have an 05, the only problems Ive had with it are ; blowing oil out of the diff breather, (fixed it myself after hearing to much Bull**** from the dealer), oh yeah, the timing chain tensioner fell apart at approx 5800/5900 miles. Triumph helped by swinging for the parts and paid for the labor. ( Fair deal it was a couple of years out of warranty). Ive eaten three sets of tires. The bike has only done (to date) 6700 miles. I was thinking of getting the latest model but im sure it has the same mediocre/ Tepid performance of the prior models ( i have modified my bike s performance). Typical Brits, they come up with a great concept of a big brutish bike, and then turn it into a lamb. I ,ll probably keep the bike for good humor, its good to tie the dog down with. it currently resides next to the pile of British bikes in the corner of my garage.

I reckon Sell it privately, then buy a new one and not have a concern for the next two years (Warranty) also new bike will have all the engine upgrades too.

Back