Engine quits at 65

Wasp1

Standard Bore
Ride
Triumphant rocket 3
My friends rocket 3 cruising at 65mph motor just cut off. Still had lights and gauges. No trouble shooting codes, no check engine soon,the motor just quit. As he was coasting it was like the motor was just free wheeling, like it had no compression. Sitting on the side of the road, pulled clutch, hit the starter, motor would spin over 3 times faster than normal. No fire, if you turn the throttle wide open engaging the starter, you would get a back fire every once in awhile. any thoughts???? on what this problem could possibly be, would sure be appreciated. Hope you will have patience with me, just joined the R3 site, and trying to figure out how to navigate thru this.

I suggest that you put a stop on your other thread. It has no relevant information for diagnosis, and two threads on the same subject are extremely annoying.

yep - sounds serious alright. something is not right in the head....

Any noise when it happened other than the engine just dying? How many miles? Service history? Any problems leading up to this?

Any noise when it happened other than the engine just dying? How many miles? Service history? Any problems leading up to this?
No noise, 60,000 miles no problems leading up to this. was as if you hit the kill switch.

I don't know if the R3 is a interference motor but it sounds to me like the cam chain broke and valves are bent (or the valves are stuck open due to cam position). Pull the air filter out and put your hand on the pipe. When you crank the motor check to see if you have air pushing back out of the intake pipe. That would be a sure sign you have bent intake valves or valves that are sitting open.

The fact that the motor spins faster than normal suggests to me that it would be likely that you no longer have compression. Just like if you pulled all of the spark plugs out and tried cranking the engine.

And the short answer to your implied question is...no...this doesn't sound like a common problem
appreciate the interest, going to see the bike monday in tennessee, my friend is a good motor head , will post what he finds out, appears to be a rare problem. Hoping to offer him suggestions thru this site.

Back