Tony Anderson

Stumpy
Ride
1050 ST & R111
Well I fitted the battery (new) and the engine turned over but did not fire up. The previous owner thought it was coils as he said there was no spark. Surely all the coils wouldn't fail at the same time??

Any ideas folks?

Fuel pump
Bad fuel
Clogged injectors
Bad TPS, or set wrong
Dirty spark plugs
Dirty and/or loose wiring connections - and there are a lot of them that could cause or contribute to the problem

There are a few off the top of my head, early in the morning.

Would be helpful to know age type milage and mods - if any
ECU fuse??

I would look at the ignition switch. Bet the ignition went bad and the guy just let it sit. Look to see if it has the eastern beaver bypass done yet.

If it's cranking, can't be the ignition switch skydog1000

You should certainly check for spark but I'd be looking towards fuel, especially if it's been laid up for quite a while.
It's really pretty much the same systematically as your Sprint, just scaled 'up'

Is Neutral light on? (you can raise the side-stand switch to eliminate that as contender)
Do you hear fuel pump priming?
Checked for Injectors spraying?

If you get spark, you can spray starter fluid into the TB's and see if you can at least get a 'cough'
(You can even try that without checking for spark - if it does kick, then you confirm is fueling issue)

If it's cranking, can't be the ignition switch skydog1000

You should certainly check for spark but I'd be looking towards fuel, especially if it's been laid up for quite a while.
It's really pretty much the same systematically as your Sprint, just scaled 'up'

Is Neutral light on? (you can raise the side-stand switch to eliminate that as contender)
Do you hear fuel pump priming?
Checked for Injectors spraying?

If you get spark, you can spray starter fluid into the TB's and see if you can at least get a 'cough'
(You can even try that without checking for spark - if it does kick, then you confirm is fueling issue)
Side stand down will not allow cranking too

We recently had a member here with a similar issue - turned out to be the rubber hoses that carried fuel (all of them) had deteriorated so badly that it would not work - at least his ran breifly tho. Do as @DEcosse mentioed, we have a product in OZ called "start ya bastard" in a spray can it has eather in it - don't breath too much of that in as you will wake up with a headache after passing out for a while.

Back