Engine Cut Out At Idle

HansO

Not Taking Life Too Seriously
Ride
08 Rocket III R.I.P now TEX Triumph Explorer
I have some bad and some Good news, for awhile now my bike has been doing some intermittent cutting out when pulling in the clutch as as i stop or even occasionally when I have the clutch in to long while changing down with a closed throttle.While it has not caused a accident and it started just fine it has been annoying.
I was chatting to Neville Lush about another members issue the other day and mentioned that I was having this happen and was looking at testing my Map Sensor as everything else checked out just fine, He immediately asked me which year it was and which number tune I was running, which I told him it is an 08 running an modified 20050 tune/map.
He explained to me that the earlier tune 20050 was used in the early models could cause this unexplainable cutting out on closed throttle he suggested that I get a higher number tune and transpose the tables and adjustments/ values across which I did and have solved the issue, he also suggested bring the idle up to 900 rpm from 850.
He went on to tell me that Triumph had released the 20227 (std exhaust) and 20228 (TORs) in 2008 because of this issue, it is funny to note that when I bought my 08 in 2010 in asked if there were any updates that I might need and the dealer said they had all been carried out and they had a better tune in it now which I assumed meant better performance (I might Also Note that The Nowra Triumph Dealer I bought it from has been great to deal with with any queries I have had.
The reason for this post is that most of the Good Tunes that are out there are nearly All on the 20050 base including some I have modifiedsome more to suit peoples particular needs.
So if you are one of these people that I have given a "Ian Tune" to whether it be tweaked or as it was you will need to Transpose it on to a 20227 or 20228 base, this basically is a copy / paste procedure if you are not confident or do not know how please contact me with the usual e-mail address and a copy of the tune I gave you.
I am truly Sorry for any inconvenience, I was till Mondays conversation with Neville Totally unaware of this and please don't panic it is not going to cause harm to motor, as it may never do it to you it took a couple of years of running this tune before my bike started playing up.
Cheers
Hans
ps I expect I will be a tad busy for a while so please be patient if I don't get back to you as quickly as I have in the past

Last edited:
Get cracking...
Now don't you start you Little :evil:, you have a Roadster, I am thinking this may have been why they made software changes to the Roadster's ECU, as this problem only occurs on the pre Roadster Models which is why the Roadster /Touring tunes and STD's / Classic and Ltd Ed Tourer tunes are not interchangeable

He started talking about TPS issues where mine could hear and now I have a rough idle. I think I'm gonna make him start wearing a condom around my motors so they don't catch anything

The tune you gave has actually stopped the weord cutting out issue that was present with the stock triumph tune.

I guess the tune for me isnt effected.

the TPS is a lot more important than some may think as if it is out even just a touch it can make the engine run rich or lean depending which way it has slipped as the ECU is relying on the TPS to tell where your throttle is at so it can send the correct fuel, so if your TPs tells the ECU the throttle is open more than it really is you will be running rich as the ECU sends more fuel.
It pays to regularly check the TPS voltage reading as it can slip, it should part of regular maintenance

He started talking about TPS issues where mine could hear and now I have a rough idle. I think I'm gonna make him start wearing a condom around my motors so they don't catch anything
It wasn't the motor I touched, it was the redhead on the tank I was rubbing on. :p

At least you have 2 other R3's in your shed to ride, plus a couple of them Motor Co bikes. :D

Back