BigAl52

Supercharged
Ride
R3 standard with many mods
went for a really nice ride today to support the wife with the Biggest Morning Tea she had arranged at the resort she manages.
Got to within about 5 k's back to town after an uneventful 150k's and the blue highbeam light came on, flicked the switch a couple of times with no response then the engine management light came on and the bike starting missing and backfiring badly with blue light flashing randomly.
I kept riding thinking it may clear itself but it only got worse. I had no power and was creeping along at about 40 k's but could rev it hard with the clutch in no problem but as soon as I let the clutch out I had no power and massive backfiring.
Managed to get into town to my dads place and turned it off. Turned ignition back on and all dead, not even instrument lights.
If it had been one of my old bikes I would have said it was a blown head gasket cause thats the sort of noise it was making.
Looks like a trip to the mechanic then on to the paint shop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh sh1t mate, I have no idea what that could be:eek:
Hope you work it out.

to be honest haven't checked anything....really wasn't in the right frame of mind to touch it so just went home and I'll have a look in next couple of days

Maybe disconnect the battery until you get to it!
And put it on charge ready for your investigations, could be the charging system on the blink??? Even check the current charge....

to be honest haven't checked anything....really wasn't in the right frame of mind to touch it so just went home and I'll have a look in next couple of days

I was just thinking.. low voltage sensed by the ECU would maybe cause your problem especially with it being dead now for no apparent reason.. it was probably running on the alternator output until you turned here off.

Hope it's that simple mate..

BIg Al...have you stood on a leprechauns toe recently?

Anyway, I had a very similar issue...for me it ended up being a loose female plug that the main 30amp fuse connected into. I found that on throttle with the arse squatting the wire was just loose enough to lose contact. I only worked it out because every now and again I'd burn out a fuse. Literally... instead of blowing the fuse it would melt and burn but fuse stayed intact...basically was because as it was just touching it would ark and cause it to heat up and melt the plastic of the fuse but not actually cause a high load and blow the fuse.

I suggest you check your terminals, clean and tighten them all up, check your main fuse - Green 30amp - and check the connecters that the fuse splade fits in are clean and connecting properly.

I hope it is as simple as this for you mate.

As far as your other thread about your paint...maybe it is weeping saintly tears or oil..perhaps it is a miracle bike...(not helpful, i know but hopefully it lightens your frustration a bit).

Trouble is the Dealer told me their diagnostic machine doesn't pinpoint electrical faults .. claimed it has to be done manually at $110 an hour .. hope it's an easy fix mate.

Back