Early 2013 vs late 2013 Roadster

rocketrod

Standard Bore
Ride
R3 Touring , Thruxton
I am trying to decide whether to buy the earlier model roadster without the enhancements or a later model with the enhancements.
I have an opportunity to get a great deal on an earlier model.
Has anybody ridden both that could tell how dramatic the difference is?:cool:

I haven't ridden both, but I believe the dealer can just download the latest tune to remove the restrictions on the first three gears. There are others on this site that have done it, and I'm sure will be chiming in shortly....

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that only the later had the deresticted tune, more blacked out bits, stripes. All other model years and I think also the early 13's can be easily derestricted with TuneBoy (not freeware), TuneECU (freeware) or a GiPre (which does not change any thing but if set correctly fools the ECU in to thinking it is in a higher 4 gear) or as mentioned apparently the early 13 can be retuned with later map by dealer. Again I am not sure as to whether you can use a PCV on the later 13 model but on earlier model it is great for giving better fuelling and if you do not have access to someone with a dyno you can add the AutoTune to it and run a AFR map available to down load or I can supply you with the one I created which has a lot of happy users here, it must be noted that if you go down the PCV + AT route you will need to download a suitable TuneECU tune to correct the restriction in the ignition tables and secondaries not mention a few other setting that can be changed
If I have missed something I am sure there will be other to fill the gaps
Cheers
Hans

Last edited:
I just picked up a new, unrestricted '13.

I'm still being a bit gentle for break in, but there is definately more torque in the first 3 gears than my '07.

The newer '13's also have stripes, the first ones didn't.

I looked at the r3 with red stripes yesterday your bike in my opinion looks better ,I'm fighting the temptation to update .:confused:

When I bought my leftover 2012, I asked the service manager about it, he said after my first service they would load it into my ECU for free.

I didn't have the patience, so I got Tune ECU and did it myself.

Now I have Hanso's tune, & A/F map for my PCV/AT and it runs even better. :D

I just picked up a new, unrestricted '13.

I'm still being a bit gentle for break in, but there is definately more torque in the first 3 gears than my '07.

The newer '13's also have stripes, the first ones didn't.
Oh, that's sweet. Guess I got one of the newer'13's too. I get mine this week:D:D

Back