Donated the gift of life today ... Man it was hard.

Idaho Red Rocket 3

Living Legend
Ride
2006 RIII Standard Bagger w/Fairing
Thursday morning my Wife's younger brother Bill collapsed at home about 6:30 am. He was taken to the Hospital by 7am. The paramedics reported he was "unresponsive". They were able to keep him alive in the ambulance. When my Wife and His Wife got the hospital, his blood pressure was 240 over 217, and that was after powerfull pressure reducing drugs had already been administered. The scans revealed his curetted artery behind the left eye had ruptured. The doctors said they believed he was in danger of immediate death if nothing was done. As he was still "unresponsive", we could opt to do nothing and let nature take it's course or we could try to give him a chance by operating. They said surgeons could go in and repair the break and relieve the pressure by removing part of his skull and draining off the blood pooling in his brain. It was a long shot but it was the best they could do. I made it to the hospital just about this time. We all agreed to give Bill a chance. The surgery took all day. When completed the doctors report was bad. Bill had sustained not only the aneurism in his curetted artery but many other blood vessels throughout his brain had ruptured as well. Too many to repair. Too much damage to survive. The doctors estimated he would expire in 1 or 2 days. All the tests Thursday night and Friday morning indicated he was brain dead.

Bill is a registered organ doner. So we have honored his last request today. It was really hard to go through the procedure to allow him to pass away today. Fortunately for him, and for us in attendance, he went very peacefully in about 15 minutes after the removal of the ventilator. We all cried our eyes out. Goodbye Bill, We Love You and will Miss You Dearly. The out of town family is coming in over the next few days. We will have the funeral on Thursday here at my house.

At 54 years young his organs and tissues will help 2 kidney patience, His eyes will help 2 blind folks. His hart will be used to make heart valves for several children and his other major organs will be used for research. Along with his major organs they harvested much of his other usable tissues such as bone and bone marrow, skin, blood vessels and others. Bill's gift will help somewhere between 50 to 70 people we were told.

It is hard to loose a family member suddenly like this. Bill was outwardly healthy and a man who enjoyed life and was always helping others. He and his wife could not have children. They were/are both sterile due to early in life illnesses. Instead they befriended and helped troubled neighbor kids all the time. One of them was with us these last 3 days. What a good young man he turned out to be.

Please offer up your prayers for his wife Linda and his Brother Bob, his sister Lana (my wife) and the rest of the family and freinds for strength to get through and God's peace of mind and heart.

Bill.

My wife and myself have both filled out our donor cards. Her cousin needed a lung transplant, and it was provided by a young rugby player who passed well before his time in Toronto, we truly beleive in the importance of helping others, we feel bad for the passing of your loved one, but he has given the gift of life and health to others, we can only hope that should something tragic happen to us, we can help someone else live with our passing, our condolences.

Never having gone through what you and your wife have just suffered, I can't even begin to know the difficulty of what you two were faced with. Losing a loved one is bad enough. Being forced to make that life or death call has to be excruciating.
My thoughts are with you both and brother in law's family.

Sorry to hear of your loss mate. Sure you and your family are comforted and proud of who Bill was and the good life he lived .. thanks for sharing this with us.

Back