Dobeck Performance AFR Plus Settings Explained

Idaho Red Rocket 3

Living Legend
Ride
2006 RIII Standard Bagger w/Fairing
Below are the Dobeck Performance AFR Plus settings I am using with the revised code made in November. I will also explain the proper light codes you need to know.

Fuel Settings First
Green} 13.0 Used for Idle, very light throttle uses and deceleration. Open loop running on Triumph ECU. You can adjust this setting. You will hear the idle get smoother or less smooth depending on which way you go. Set it where you like it.

Yellow} 14.2 Used for general acceleration and cruising. Closed loop running on AFR+ when Yellow and Blue are both on. You want Yellow Blue to be on while riding. Not Green.

Red} 12.8 (12.5 good too) Used for Power Acceleration and WOT fun. Closed Loop running on AFR+ when Red and Blue are both on. You want Red Blue to be on when whaling on it. Not Green.

You want to be in Yellow Blue most of the time as you ride. This is closed loop and running on the device. This AFR setting can be adjusted rich or lean to your liking for various riding conditions. Want more power on tap sooner set it richer. Want more fuel MPG set it leaner. I have read that stoichiometric for the 10% alcohol gasoline we have to buy here is actually lower at 14.2 instead of 14.7 for pure gasoline.

Switch Point Settings
Green Blue} 12.0 Accelerator fuel pump setting. Not an AFR. It is just a switch point number to track where it is. Adds/lessens fuel pump spray. Adjust as needed to eliminate any possible hesitation between shifts or throttle twist changes.

Yellow Blue} 11.2 Switch point setting for going into Yellow zone. Not an AFR. I have found this number needs to be very low because the Rocket is so powerful with just a slight twist of the throttle we are going along pretty good. So if it isn't set low you won't switch into Yellow Blue soon enough. You could be riding around in Green which is not using the AFR+. You want the Yellow Blue light on when cruising. It is where you want to be most of the time.

Red Blue} 12.5 Switch point for going into Red zone. Power Acceleration and WOT. Again you can set it where you want it. Sooner or later. It takes a little riding to decide where the sweet spot is for you to go into WOT. I have mine set about half throttle. You want the Red and Blue light on when in Power Acceleration or WOT.

Last edited:
Good to see some more detailed info.

Questions (as I don't have one to play with)

Can you set these values to be different in each gear? The R3 has different timing and secondary throttling depending on gear. i.e. the base parameters against which the fuelling monitors and adjust will differ. Many bikes do not. Unless the predictive algorithms take this into account the end result is an averaging out - not per se a bad thing but generally speaking not optimum. I don't know about everybody else - but I do not ride the same in all gears. I like the engine to react differently.

Can you have (let's say) 2 different setups. Personally I don't see the need - but other options provide this as it was asked for. Some allow this swap on the fly - TuneBoy for example.

How does the Dobeck check/calibrate the WBO2 sensor for drift - can it? - I'm asking because I don't know. The PC5 supposedly can - is the check any good? - no idea. Is it necessary to have the WBO2 sensor accurate - hell yes. Personally I am going to remove the AFR box now I have minimal re-trimming, and the bike runs as I want it to.

The switchpoint settings - how do these interact with the R3 ECU F->L table switchpoints.? - They either need to match the ECU or one set (the ecu probably) needs to be disabled. Just saying. Be stupid to have one system adding fuel because the other is deliberately reducing it. This is true of ANY piggyback solution.

Am I correct that the Dobeck does not trim negatively? - i.e it will only ever richen or leave alone? Their website suggests so - but it would be nice to get first hand feedback.

Yup I am a techno geek. - But 'twas Wayne/Scott/Art that put many of these questions in my head when I started looking at the PC5. I don't claim to understand every nuance - but I want to. If Wayne (or Nev) lived in Spain - it would have been a no brainer.

this is getting too deep for most i would guess sure is for me .without going to the extreme of adjustments from all the gizmo sold , is it really that much better seat of the pants improvement, after all that is where one notice a difference the rest is just nice but can do without thank you!!

All I know is I LOVE MY DOBECK!. My Roadster pulls as hard or harder than my Standard that had Jardines, K&N's Nev Lusch cams and Tripp Tune. Plus, pulls sweetly through all rpms in all gears. Glad I don't have to keep gong back to a dyno for every change I make. What a great invention.

Ok I did some reading on the Dobeck systems up to and including the generation 4. It is a piggy back system much like the PCV only a few differences one being the price is less. It comes with a O2 sensor bypass so you can eliminate the ecu doing fuel changes via the narrow band O2 sensor. So to answer some of the questions posed like does it alow the Lamba table fuel settings to work as the ecu is designed the answer would be no. Lamba sensor changes are controlled by engine vacuum and rpm monitoring. Where as the dobeck just plugs in and intercepts the signal sent by the ECU to the injectors and changes it in either the tree zones or the other chnages inputed by the operator on the dash gauge. PCV also has a dash guage to make changes by the operator. although the changes are more finite compared to the dobeck nitiher are as finite as tuning the ECU. As for tuning per gear it does not it does say it monitors the load which I cannot figure how unless the load reflect burn quality of the fuel. which would be different do to aplied torque load verses gearing. Now the PCV has a different map table per gear so in therpoy permanent changes verses torque load at a given rpm and throttle percentage can be mapped and saved as each gear will have its own fueling table. (which is pretty smart if you ask me.

Aslo timing cannot be altered on either (I think PCV is working on that) this also has a lot to do with creating a efficiently used burn.

This in not meant to cut either fuel interceptor controllers down. Its just meant to clarify some of the questions posed. All in all you cannot beat a dyno tunning session by a qualified technician but it will cost more. again for the price you might see some good changes but as speedy stated a home tuner has to be very good at picking things out besides just the seat of the pants or butt dyno claim.

Last edited:
All I know is I LOVE MY DOBECK!. My Roadster pulls as hard or harder than my Standard that had Jardines, K&N's Nev Lusch cams and Tripp Tune. Plus, pulls sweetly through all rpms in all gears. Glad I don't have to keep gong back to a dyno for every change I make. What a great invention.
you mean to say that this plain roadster has more ( torque/horses/) than your previous ride equipped with jardine K&N nev cam and good tune from tripp now that is news!! I 'll have to get me one of those dobeck thingy when I come back from south america

Stripes and Albertaduke. Eureka ! That my Rocket friends is the point. Spend thousands for power gains or spend a few hundred for the same or better gain. My bike has standard intake and exhaust.

unf****ing believable I am sold ! gen 3.5 or gen 4 which should I steal.. I mean buy!

Gen 4 AFR Plus.
DSCN2213crop.jpg

Back