Do you want great headlights?

emwolb

.060 Over
i discovered something in the past couple of years that really improves the headlights on just about anything. E-code headlights. they're designed for europe, and are claimed to put out 400% more light. this figure is optomistic, but they sure are much stronger and brighter and focussed than the stock headlights. i installed a 7" in my harley streetglide and am going to install a pair of 5 3/4" housings in my rocket 3 classic. i say housing because it's just the replacing of the poorly designed reflector and lens. hella and cibie both make e-code headlights. for those of us who ride on the right side of the road, you must specify when ordering. you'll get ones made for the german/france market as they ride on the right side of the road. for those in australia or great britain who drive on the wrong side of the road, the headlight housings are focussed differently. what you get is the glass lens with attached metal reflector, very similar to what our triumphs have, but with far better optics. for example when changing my single 7" harley headlight, it made a huge difference. i'll explain. what the e-code headlights do is focus the beam down your lane rather than splashing it all over the place like our stock headlights. no light to illuminate overhead signs, nothing toward the oncoming traffic, and a bit to the right to illuminate the critters at night. no need for any high tech pubic zirtonium headlight h4 bulbs. the high performance 60/55 watt sylvania/osrams or similar work great. susquehanna motorsports is where i ordered mine and i'll install them next week in my steel stock chrome housings. i expect great results. they're a really great upgrade and the improvement is astounding. pm me if anyone needs more information. google susquehanna motorsports for more info.

Emwolb,

You might want to add a relay,
like either the one from Eastern Beaver,
or make one yourself, or your ignition switch is gonna be a problem
with added pull and heat from more powerful bulbs.
I ain't no electrician, but this seems to be a weak point....
British solder sucks.....

Emwolb,

You might want to add a relay,
like either the one from Eastern Beaver,
or make one yourself, or your ignition switch is gonna be a problem
with added pull and heat from more powerful bulbs.
I ain't no electrician, but this seems to be a weak point....
British solder sucks.....

+1 on the relays ! Be sure and post your results, before and after pics ? I'm very interested. I like to see at night. Lots of deer where I live ! This is what just adding the relays did for mine.

Before

After

I am am very interested in the results, as well, emwolb & JRock, as I was nearly killed in a bike-deer accident some 4 1/2 yrs ago!:eek: Conspicuity and better visibility are very important to me.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the Eastern Beaver (or equivalent) relay upgrade seems to be a given requirement.

I am am very interested in the results, as well, emwolb & JRock, as I was nearly killed in a bike-deer accident some 4 1/2 yrs ago!:eek: Conspicuity and better visibility are very important to me.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the Eastern Beaver (or equivalent) relay upgrade seems to be a given requirement.

It is in my book. Saves your ignition switch, and you can see what it does for your lights.

Do R3T owners need to do the uprgrade? I installed PIAA bulbs in the driving lights and main headlight. I have lots of light but maybe Im not getting "all it can be".....any thoughts?

mutt

I have a set of HID lights that are 8000k that I took off my ****** rocket. I been thinking of someway of using them but haven't had the time to investigate. They are BRIGHT. I would have no dimmer so that's the part that is questionable. They would light up the road that's for sure.

yeah guys, i am going to be using an auxilliary fuse board, likely something from eastern beaver. as far as the guy with the touring bike, yes, if it's a standard size 7" housing then an E-code headlight housing will fit. and it's susquehanna motorsports, they're in fleetwood pennsylvania. my headlights will be in this monday or in about two days. regular 55/60 h4 bulbs work just fine with them, so there is no additional draw because they're the same amps/wattage as stock. i have a pair of the three prong female connectors for the back of the h4 bulbs though. napa auto parts has them and they're far better than anything you'll find stock. i prefer using them because they're made of the heat proof type of material that old distributor caps were made of. it's called bakelite and a great improvement over most nylon based connectors. i know that after changing out only the single 7" housing on my harley, using the same h4 sylvania/osram bulb of stock wattage, the improvement of lighting was incredible. all i can think is that the europeans don't have to comply with dot specs with lighting overhead signs, the median, etc so they design the reflector to push the main focus of the beam directly down your lane rather than splashing it all over the place. i'll keep you guys posted when i finish the mod. i'm making this modification because i know how well it works with every vehicle i've used it on.

Back