Definitely maybe buying an R3

Twisticles

Standard Bore
Hi guys,
Sorry if this is TL;DR

Whilst I love my F800GS for the adventure riding of dirt roads around Malaysia, I feel there is a hole in my garage that the R3 might fill.
Truth be told, a while back I hired a HD Road King for a couple of weeks and enjoyed the big cruiser experience...but there is no way I am buying a pirate ship.

I'd never even heard of the R3 until I went to the local dealer to see if I wanted to chop my 800GS for the new Tiger 800XC. I decided it was too close to my current ride...but then I turned around and saw three pre-loved Rocket III and fell in love.

Bikes in these parts typically retain their value very well, but a couple of 2008 models with around 30k km on the clock are within my budget having taken the initial depreciation hit. Also, I think the R3 is too big for most locals ;)

But I want a big cruiser to get me from Singapore to Thailand in a couple of fast, 10 hour/2000km comfy days. Everything I have read seems to suggest the R3 will do this for me.

So, before I walk into the dealer and sound like a complete noob, any tips on what to look out for? One bike has some customization (LED indicators at least) that I need to check out and this is my list of questions:

1) Are the pipes legal (a 2008 bike here needs annual road cert)
2) Any outstanding recalls
3) Any dealer warranty
4) What has been modded
5) Service/repair/maintenance history

What else do I need to look out for on a 2008 R3 standard? I've surfed all these forums and it seems like late models are mostly ironed out.

Thanks in advance, and hello and all that. You guys are obviously passionate, and I hope to join your ranks in the next few weeks.

Depending on when in 2008 the bike was purchased you may have some warranty left to work with...never mind I was thinking 3 year unlimited warranty...that belongs to the Gold Wing.

You are going to have to pump your dealer for as much info as you can about the bikes as unless you can contact the original owners you may be out of luck.

The Rocket with it's original exhaust system is pretty quiet and shouldn't have a problem with any certification but if the TORs (Triumph Off Road) pipes were put on...good question.

Depending on the mileage, if you are lucky, it might have had the first service done already that will mean you will already have the full synthetic oil in it. That should also make your shifting a little easier but it will still clunk for a good while those most of us "experienced:D" riders can usually minimize that.

I believe you should have the better, heavier duty parts already installed as part of the normal build process for an 08.

One other potential trouble spot may be the ignition switch...hit the search feature on this site and you should come across the ignition switch bypass install post...which will really help you out.

Good luck...hope your dealer can help you out.

Welcome to the site from Molino, FL and Afghanistan.

Dennis

114 dtg Dubai
115 dtg Home for good!

Recalls should already be taken care of by the dealer. Otherwise it's the abuse of the former owner. Take one for a ride. Then try NOT to buy it.;)

My math tells me 2000km = 1340 miles (@.67miles/km). That would average 134 mph for a 10 hour day. If that's legal, I'm moving to Thailand!!!

I own a 2008 and can tell you that they already have all the updated transmission and TPS parts in them. However, MoMan is right on the money with the ignition switch and bypass relays. Besides a dripping water pump that was replaced in the first 500 miles, the ignition switch is weak and the dual headlights max it out. If any accessories are added such as heated grips or aux lighting, the switch will be overloaded and WILL fail. If they are bone stock the switch should be fine for now, but plan to do the Eastern Beaver .com headlight relay modification right away. It will save you many headaches later.

I would have to say that right now, a 2008 model is your best buy since it's old enough to be "old" but new enough to have all the updated parts. With the Roadster still a big hype, a 2008 Standard should be down in value enough to be a bargain.

If you must keep it stock for local reasons, I strongly suggest you check out a GiPro gear position indicator with ATRE. First it will give you a gear indicator the bike doesn't have, and it will unleash the 7% extra power to use in 1st - 3rd gears. Makes it scary fast off the line with no extra mods. Suggest you check past threads on the subject.

Recalls should already be taken care of by the dealer. Otherwise it's the abuse of the former owner. Take one for a ride. Then try NOT to buy it.;)

My math tells me 2000km = 1340 miles (@.67miles/km). That would average 134 mph for a 10 hour day. If that's legal, I'm moving to Thailand!!!

Way out. It's only 1243 miles so the av speed would be a leasurely 124mph, although if you factor in 6 stops for fuel, "comfort" stops and maybe lunch you swallow whole you're looking at around 140+mph. I suggest a riders backrest be one of the pre-requisits :D - in addition to what HellFire and Mo'man say.

Don't worry Twisticles, we get the idea and a Rocket is perfect for that type of travelling. Just ride one and there'll be no going back. Definitely fit a GiPro with ATRE if you want the performance boost and heed the warnings re the lights. I haven't had a problem ('09 model) but plenty have.

Just so you know, it's not a top end bike since it's only a 5 speed. It will get up there to 130mph fast, but at a serious fuel cost. 150mph is possible with modifications, but it's RPM limited to not much more. It will pull a tall windscreen or whatever extra drag you hang on it without trouble but it's no 6 speed sport bike, it just isn't for top end use especially in stock trim.

Way out. It's only 1243 miles so the av speed would be a leasurely 124mph, although if you factor in 6 stops for fuel, "comfort" stops and maybe lunch you swallow whole you're looking at around 140+mph. I suggest a riders backrest be one of the pre-requisits :D

Ok my bad...that should have said a couple of 1000km days ;)
Having looked at the route again its only 900 miles (a measly 1300km) over two days split 600/300 to get to Phuket for Bike Week :D Speed limit through Malaysia is 70 and 75 in Thailand...if the condition of the road surface will let you!

But thanks to all of you for the heads up on the 2008 models. Will have to check out the relay mod. Previous owner obviously like to fiddle, but it may only be cosmetic.

First off,
Welcome to the forum Twisticles.
second, take her for a "leisurely" ride, then decide.
Now you might want to hang on with both hands real tight at first when you twist the fun handle,
IT AIN"T NO HARLEY
Welcome from Oklahoma, U.S.S.A.
skip

Back