Crappy Gas Mileage

Micksan

Supercharged
Ride
2023 Triumph R3 GT, 2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT,
I have the tank off , and before I put it back on I thought I would see if anyone would give something else to check.
I recently did a annual check up and tune up. Oil , Plugs ( same as original) , also checked the valves. I am using the three K&N air filters for about 10K miles. Prior to the annual maintenance , I was getting on the average mid 30s to low 40s. I do not use ethanol gas. Now I am getting mid 20s mpg.
Performance is really pretty good. Cold start is normal no problems. On restart after warm up , will start ,but have to give it a lot of gas to keep it going for the first minute or so. Put it on the Tune ECU , and no faults listed.
My first thought was that maybe I had some bad plugs . Changed them out with the same type. Made sure gap was good. No improvement.
Because I had some problems on BMWs with vacuum lines , I decide to check these. The ends on the throttle bodies were good and snug. The others on the 4 way plastic manifold I removed , cut back a 1/2 inch and reinstalled.
One other thing. When I installed the plugs I replaced a set that were the ring around the electrode type. They worked real well, but I decided to go back to stock. To top it off I did not keep the numbers or brand. I know they were listed as suitable replacements.
After all that , do any of you wrenchers have any suggestions of where I may want to check before I put the gas tank back on.

Please tell me you did not take it to the place on NW 23rd the old Triumph dealer in OKC.

Please tell me you did not take it to the place on NW 23rd the old Triumph dealer in OKC.
NO I do my own work. Have been digging into bikes since 1961. BTW I do not believe there is a dealer or any sort of shop on NW 23rd. The dealer we do have is really a pretty good one.

Did the MPG's drop over time or did you notice it right away?
Does the bike pull hard or is it sluggish? Check/replace the fuel filter, you might have gotten bad fuel...

Having to give it lots of gas on a warm start up is not normal at all. Normally you touch the starter button and it's running without touching the throttle at all. Does it sound like it's flooding ? Does it ever stall or have low idle speed problems ?

Having to give it lots of gas on a warm start up is not normal at all. Normally you touch the starter button and it's running without touching the throttle at all. Does it sound like it's flooding ? Does it ever stall or have low idle speed problems ?
Once it is a up and running it goes back to the 1050 RPM idle. No stalls . Does not feel like a flooding problem . This problem just started after going back to the NGK DPR8EA9. That is why I am trying to find the plug types I took out with the 4 ground? resister around the electrode

Did the MPG's drop over time or did you notice it right away?
Does the bike pull hard or is it sluggish? Check/replace the fuel filter, you might have gotten bad fuel...
Once going the bike has a lot of muscle. Not starving for gas.

When I had the update kit installed Triumph sent DPR7EA9 plugs to replace the DPR8EA9.
That is going along with what I am starting to think. I have made changes to the air intake & exhaust. Then still trying to use the same plug . I believe that when I went with the +1 hotter on that last plug I was getting a better burn ratio.

Back