Crappy Gas Mileage Part 2

Micksan

Supercharged
Ride
2023 Triumph R3 GT, 2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT,
I started this second part because of some new developments.
Top start with I believe most of my problems/bugs are from the mods I have made. Tors exhaust ( supertrapp muffler), triple K&N air filters, plus a modified map. This being said I believe that some consideration has to be given to the spark plug.
First after talking to a buddy at the NAPA store where I buy 90% of my auto supplies and a large chunk of my bike stuff also.
He doubts that he would have recommended the Bosch plugs. Not a fan. Most likely another brand. He does not know of any of the four poll plugs that are still around.
They carry a Plug called E3 for us it is the E.3.36. It is a different style. I put a set in my bike late yesterday afternoon. Took them out for the same trip I took the day before when I had such crappy MPG. (22mpg) This time much better as per the gas gauge. The problem when I stopped and having to restart when the bike was warm>>gone. At idle nice and smooth. Ride was great.
I am not claiming theses top be the holy grail but my initial impressions are positive. If the weather is kind to me the next few days then I should be able to get a few hundred miles on therm.
BTW the fuel filter was replaced less than 10K ago. I am real careful where I get my gas , as I have gotten burned w/ bad gas also.

Since I put in the new plugs I have some preliminary MPG results. Prior top installing them I got a readout of 22.8. That was mostly city driving, and trips were not long enough to warm up the engine to a good operating temperature . Maybe 5 to 6 miles.
Since then I have two read outs. First was starting with a cold engine and some short trips like the first. Then this afternoon I went on the highway doing about 65mph. After 15 miles I stopped for gas. Readout was 33.4mpg . Right after that with the engine still warm. We traveled the country back roads speed about 55+ . After 67 miles I stopped to fill up. MPG worked out to 38.3. Big difference .
To be honest I can not say for sure if it was just the E3 plugs or a combo of them and the clipping back the vacuum lines to get a tighter fit.
One other thing >>> The quality of the ride was great. Also feels good to go out for a ride w/o the need of a jacket.
BTW thanks for the input. I got a couple of ideas from your inputs.

I doubt I will ever be able to repeat these results without running the exact same trip - but with less than 3000 miles on my bike I averaged over 65 mpg on the interstate coming home from the dragon's tail. All of it was at least at 80 mph.... Couldn't believe it when I ran the numbers and did it over and over again to make sure I was coming up with the same numbers.

I was headed from the Knoxville area (high mountain) and filled back up in Lebanon, TN (lower). The entire way, I ran behind an SUV much closer than I really should have. Drafting is the only thing I can think of. Never happened again and for sure not at that speed. But absolutely got 65 mpg on the way home.

Well I guess anything is possible once in a while. I have gotten 45 mpg a few times in certain conditions and mine is all dressed up. Have to take a man at his word.

I just got from Ardmore ,Oklahoma. Left yesterday for a BMW Airheads tech day. Round trip mostly on I-35 was 238 miles. Speed was 70 to 80 mph. Filled 4 times with 87 Oct 100% gas. No ethanol. Average gas mileage was 39.23 mpg.
Needless to say that I am happy with that. To me anyhow it shows that when I make the changes to the basic design that I listed in the first thread , I have to make changes to the spark plug.
BTW I have no vested investment in the E3 company.
I did find another bike needing a home, and a good going through . A BMW 1974 R90/6

Back