cranks doesn't start = bad fuel pump relay

brewmaster

.020 Over
Just getting ready for a planned trip to Big Bend TX. Went to start and it just cranked. Started to tear up the Ignition switch. But symptoms didn't really fit. Spent an hour picking thru forum. One captain suggested swapping out relays another talked about trouble with fuel system. Pulled the fuel line and sure enough no gas. The fuel relay had come loose from rubber holder and was hanging in the air up side down. Pulled the fan relay and tried it. Problem solved. Lesson learned is check obvious things like is it getting fuel, is there spark. Sometimes we want to jump on the ECU or make a problem when there is none (like me tearing up ignition switch needlessly). Thanks for guys for your accumulated knowledge in this forum.

Glad to hear you're up and running and researching the threads worked out for you.

The relay is usually the first thing that causes those symptoms in the R3.

Thanks for updating us!

Just getting ready for a planned trip to Big Bend TX. Went to start and it just cranked. Started to tear up the Ignition switch. But symptoms didn't really fit. Spent an hour picking thru forum. One captain suggested swapping out relays another talked about trouble with fuel system. Pulled the fuel line and sure enough no gas. The fuel relay had come loose from rubber holder and was hanging in the air up side down. Pulled the fan relay and tried it. Problem solved. Lesson learned is check obvious things like is it getting fuel, is there spark. Sometimes we want to jump on the ECU or make a problem when there is none (like me tearing up ignition switch needlessly). Thanks for guys for your accumulated knowledge in this forum.

I recommend everyone work through the electrical diagrams to understand what the relays are doing for (or against) you. Armed with that you can bypass some functions to see if the relay is the culprit before having your bike spread all over the garage.:eek:

Back