Cost of Maintenance ??

aztom66

.020 Over
The Cost of Maintenance quoted to me by the Triumph sales manager was almost a deal breaker in me getting my R3T. I was told that the 500 mile break in service would cost approximately $300.00 ( as I understand it's an oil change and once over) the first 10k service would be in the range of $1000 to $1200. He then offered me a service plane for $2,500 that covers the first 6 services. And if I don't get the service done at the dealership it will void my 48 month warranty. Is this the norm?

Under the terms of the federal Magnuson-Moss of 1975, a dealer cannot "void" your warrenty if you have the preventive services performed by yourself or someone else. There just needs to be documentation of the services.

Magnuson?Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The sales person is blowing smoke up yours.

I've always done my own work so I can't speak for the servicing costs. It's not out of line from others that I've heard and not near as bad as some other makes.

Well not exactly. My understanding is the warranty is 24 months (unless something changed). Also it is not mandatory for your dealer to do the first service (although recommended) I did my own but kept the reciepts. I also used the Mobil 1 4T full synthectic recommended by triumph and made sure the reciept reflected that. I used oil filters from Flipmeister and followed the service manual for the once over.

Now my 10,000 mile service will be dealer checked. But I am up in the air on this since my warranty will be expired by the time I get to 10,000 (I know, I know its killing me to say that) So the big thing on the 10,000 mile service is checking valve clearance. Not for the faint at heart. Although I am inclined I can check them just not sure if I want to adjust them myself but we will see.

I would check another dealer. His prices seem a little high. Also you can get the unused oil from him as well (left over from the first service change). The $300 price isnt to bad. But on the 10,000 it depends on if you have any vlaves out and how many have to be adjusted. The valve cover has to be removed, so your mostly paying labor cost. If they have to be shimmed those are cheap its really the labor.

I wouldnt let it stop you because all motorcycles are gonna be in the same range for maintenance if you want to do it right. But ask more questions than make an informed decision. good luck! :D

mutt

My 10,000 mile service was $300.01 and it was completed in less than 24 hours. They quoted me $300.

The estimate for my 20,000 is approximately $440.

Find a new dealer.

my 500 mile service was bout 300
my 10000 mile service was bout 360
my 20000 mile service i did
my 30000 mile will be done by dealer for checking vaive and changing plugs everything else i will do
i agree with lester find another dealer the only way that it would cost u bout 1000 dollars is if they had to adjust all your valves

Yeah... I kinda got the idea that the sales manager was some what a smuck...I did buy the ROCKET touring in jet black...and made him throw in a tee shirt.. showed him HA HA HA

Yeah, the 10K is way out of line. And the fact that he thinks you have a 48 month warranty shows he doesn't know his motorcycles. And $2,500 for the next 6 services sorry...pay as you go.

Who is this dealer again?

Dennis

182 dtg Dubai
183 dtg Home (Stallion and Triumph ordering/buying time)

My 10,000 mile was less than $150.
Scheduled an appintment, and rode home the same day.
I asked about valve adjustment and other issues than might come up, and he said could go as high as $250, but it didn't.
Very dependable mechanic and shop.

Back