Coolant Tank Hookup

BigBlockRocket

.060 Over
I see some pictures in here where people have the rad cap hose connected to the top of their aftermarket coolant overflow tank. Others have it connected to the bottom. Which is correct?

The fluid needs to be able to be sucked back into the radiator . so maybe the top connection has a down tube to the bottom of the can, otherwise it should draw from the bottom IMO
Pedro is right I used a bent coat hanger to go down my top to see how far the tube in it goes down. I should have bought a larger one so I could have some in the tank but leaving it empty works just great. I have only a breather hole about 1/8 inch as a overflow. should have thought about it earlier but Maggie Valley was fast approaching.
Peter your part is on the way the wifey is mailing today. sorry for the delay Bud.

Gotcha. OK...another question. I'm looking at the Billet Specialties tank (pic below). It has two fittings both at the bottom and the website says this tank has an internal return tube (not sure what that means). If the rad cap hose goes to one of these fittings, what is attached to the second fitting (or is it just capped off)?

Attachments

• CoolantTank.jpg
    CoolantTank.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 89
Gotcha. OK...another question. I'm looking at the Billet Specialties tank (pic below). It has two fittings both at the bottom and the website says this tank has an internal return tube (not sure what that means). If the rad cap hose goes to one of these fittings, what is attached to the second fitting (or is it just capped off)?
probably find one goes to the top internally as an over flow:)

Hans is right on that style one does go all the way up for over flow. Mine only has one entrance at the top with a pin hol breather on the top also . But the entrance has a tube that runns down to the bottom or just off the bottom so it can suck back in. then it has a petcock drain on the bottom. The only thing available in a race shop/auto store around here. I like it and it does what its supposed to do. I made the large 1 inch thick bracket its mounted to on my 1929 Milling machine.

Lucky though I did not even have to change the line coming from the radiator :D

One the Billet model, connect the rad to the hole that will fill the bottom of the can. As it fills, if the level gets too high, the internal tube that extends to the top will be the overflow drain tube. It should be exposed to air or you can attach a drain hose to deposit the overflow on the road rather than your foot.

I have the Weapon-R tank. The hose connected to the rad runs down to a nipple on the bottom of the tank. The upper nipple comes with an overflow hose attached.

Weapon-R

btw, do you have a link to the Billet Specialties model that you posted a picture of?

Thanks Tdragger. So then, one of the fittings just opens to the bottom of the tank and the rad hose connects to it. The other fitting has the internal tube going to the top of the tank and so I guess I can just connect a short hose to this external fitting to let any overflow excess run out to the ground. Is this correct?

Here's the link you requested:

Billet Specialties | Engine Dress-up | Cooling Components | Overflow Tanks | 8.75" | Billet Specialties, Inc.

Thanks for the link. It looks great but they are sure proud of them.

Yes, you understand correctly. The purpose of the tank is to fill as the coolant expands from the radiator. As it cools after shutdown, the coolant will be sucked back into the radiator.

If for some reason you have too much coolant in the system and it heats up enough, the excess will reach the top of the internal tube and then drain out to the outside.

When you fit the new bottle, make sure that your radiator is full and place the cap on it. Then hold the new bottle above the radiator and pour in enough coolant to fill the hose and leave an inch or two in the bottom of the bottle. This removes any air pockets from the system. Then carefully mount the bottle to the bike. You want to make sure that the hose between the rad and the bottle remains full of coolant (that's why I use a clear hose) as you do not want to introduce air to the system.

Back