Coolant Overflow Tank Relocate

tuneboy

Hay pig, this is off topic , but ,with pc3 and dyno work, my bike runs great! BUT! Seems to be a bit rich at small throttle openings(will sputter when taking off in first now and then). When i have the dyno boys lean it in this area, they make the throttle response nasty and choppy . Will tune boy make finer adjustments in this area? Thanks...

I did the coolant tank relocate (to under the seat in the air filter box) a while ago when I started jacking with some intake mods. I never was happy the way the odd shaped stock tank fit and it was nearly impossible to check the level. I tried making a few to fit under the gas tank but never was happy. (My wife doesn't use the same hair spray as BusaJack's wife so I didn't have access to the correct size container:D) I had mounted my Autocom system in there also. So I began a long hard search for a overflow tank that would 1. fit 2. have enough capacity and 3. take up less space. This is the closest I could find. Works pretty good and the Autocom can go back in the air box.

What I started with:

Ready to install:

Installed and Autocom in place:

I guess it's time to work on an intake...

While I was cutting on the bearclaw, I made some changes here. I located a coolant overflow that fits under the tank and found the perfect place for it. So now I can reclaim the air box.

It's smaller than the stock overflow, but seems to work fine. I have checked it reguarly and have had to add some along the way, so I know it is picking it up. (After having the upgrade kit done I was low on coolant.) BTW this is the third time in the last 6 months or so I have had the coolant drained - I don't know if it's just me, but it seems even after topping the radiator off several times, it still sucks some down from the overflow.

What is the capacity of the stock overflow bottle?

I'm trying to find a suitable aftermarket solution that can be mounted to the frame either in front of the engine or on the downtube in front of the left side cover.

Currently looking through solutions at Summit Racing.

The capacity is about 1/3-1/2 quart.

You can use a larger one, and you can find some nice 18-24 oz units from Weapon-R on ebay starting at $42. ;)

Any of you american brothers able to help out here. I have no idea what a quart measures up to and how many oz in a quart etc etc.

I have found an overflow tank I'd like to use but it is 15oz. will this be big enough for a roadster?

Attachments

• overflow bottle.jpg
    overflow bottle.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 386
Back