comparing tunes

kblahetka

Supercharged
Ride
2005 r3
I have a 05 r3 with the tripple filters under the bear claw and predators. I was running a jardine tune on my bike and then tried a pred tune. The jardine tune specifies the filters by name in the file name and the pred tune says PredK&N3. Not sure if that means triple filters or its the 3rd revision.

ANyway, bike seems to run better with the Jardine tune. Smoother pull, less popping etc. With the pred tune its a bit fluttery in the upper RPMs and the bike runs hot (hot enough to be concerning, and on a hot day it was tripping the temp light, coolant became low and plugs are whiteish)

I added back the Jardine tune but comparing the two I'm not sure I fuly understand how this works

So in the JAdrine tune in F1, F2, and F3 the numbers are generally higher on the low throttle position and lower RPMs than the pred tune and his position gets higher and RPMS it seems as though the pred tune has more. I assume these are the fuel tables, So does the jard tune start with more and require less as the RPMs go up becuase the preds flow more?

Then on the air fuel table the pred tune shows a richer mix through out, generally 14.57 compared to 14 for the jard tune. Wouldn't the engines want the same mix for either type of pipe?

I would read the "PredK&N3" as being for Preds and 3 K&N's
The Preds have longer primary tubes and is designed more for torque the Jardines are more open and designed to give HP up higher the Tuner would have taken in these factors when tuning, Also you have to remember it was done on a another bike so you would need to have it tweaked to suit your bike properly, another factor to is that the bike the tune was developed on may have had ever the long or short SuperTrap muffler this would also effect how it is on your bike if you had the alterative length muffler
This Helps You sort out what works for you

Thanks, I have the long can preds. Is there sucha dramatic difference in the jards and preds that the jardine tune wouldn't work? Like I said it seems to run better with that tune. Also, does the AF ratio change between pipes? Like I said the pred tune has 14.7 and the jard 14.0 though the bike runs lean on the pred tune. Very odd.

the 14.7 AFR is pushing to lean side but in with the Preds small OD primary pipes it probably suits them better, Wayne Tripp developed the Tune for the Preds and must have felt it was going to give the best results, the bike will run cooler with the 14.0 AFR and keep the ceramic coating in better condition and if your But says it feels good stick with it. I personally prefer to run the slightly richer but not rich 14.2 AFR for cruising in my PCV AFR Table map
a lot of tunes would work, in that the bike would be rideable and even perform OK in most areas but different exhaust systems are designed to give different results another example is the "Carpenter Brutes" versus the "Rebands" and "CES" systems the Carp's are a larger 2 inch OD primary tube and designed to move large amounts of gases at higher revs and while they still produce heaps of torque it is higher because the carpenter built engines use high RPM where as the other two systems use a slightly Smaller 1 3/4 inch OD and even lenght primary tubes designed to give max torque at lower RPM in the more common road user region, the Pred's use a 1 5/8 inch OD tube, they are longer a primary tube and at the time they were designed they trying to achieve the best balance of HP and Torque if only they had used a larger 1 3/4 OD tube they would have possibly been the best system out there but we will never know as Sam hung up his TIG torch shortly after he built the headers that Gothlander Mitch and myself got

Back